This article or section is a stub. Please help Tolkien Gateway by expanding it.
Lenition refers to the mutation of medial consonants, occurring usually between two vowels (VCV). It affected the Old Sindarin sounds p, t, k, b, d, g, m and s.
The sounds w, kh were lenited only at the beginning of a word.
More specifically, the evolution of these sounds can be visualized in these examples:
- p > b: OS *capro > S cabor "frog"
- t > d: OS *atar > S adar "father"
- k > g: OS *akar- > S agar "blood"
- b > v: OS Abóro > S Afor "refuser; Avar"[note 1]
- d > dh: OS *badro > S badhor "brother"
- g > -: OS *jaga > *jaȝa[note 2] > S iâ "abyss"[note 1]
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Similar softening occurred in Quenya also.
- ↑ The intermediate stage of g to extinction was yogh