Letter to G.S. Rigby Jr.
Revision as of 14:56, 6 June 2014 by Mith
- Subject: Acknowledging theological elements in The Lord of the Rings.
- Description: Typed letter signed ("J.R.R. Tolkien"), one page (6 3/4 x 5 1/4 in.; 172 x 130 mm).
- Publication: A description of the letter appeared in The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide: Chronology.
 From the auction
The Lord of the Rings and its Christian/Catholic undrepinnings. Tolkien, a devout Catholic, readily admits to theological elements in his famous trilogy. "There is, in fact, quite a lot of theology included in The Lord of the Rings (I was surprised to find how much when the work was analysed some time ago in a theological periodical), though perhaps it is made more palatable by a sugar coating." 
- ↑ Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (2006), The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide: I. Chronology, p. 648
- ↑ Wayne G. Hammond, Christina Scull, "Tolkien Notes 7" dated 29 May 2013, Too Many Books and Never Enough (blog) (accessed 30 May 2013)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 "Lot 227, Fine Books and Manuscripts, Including Americana, New York, 11 June 2012" , Sotheby's (accessed 30 May 2013)