Letter to Rayner Heppenstall (17 November 1954)
- Contents: Tolkien will not be able to attend the rehearsal and recording of the radio play The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth on 3 December. He wonders if it could be of any help if sent some notes on the text. Instead of the current conclusion (the Dirige), Tolkien sends the Dies Irae. Tolkien would like his copy of Essays and Studies to be returned (since it is his only copy), and would be thankful for receiving a copy of the script for the radio play.
- Archive: BBC Written Archives Centre.
[Tolkien remains] rather in the dark as to how you propose to treat the thing, and what part — if any; but some hint of "background" seems necessary — of the historical notes [included with the verse-drama in Essays and Studies] is to be included (as preface)
- Rayner Heppenstall 22 September 1954 (Letter 152)
- Letter to Rayner Heppenstall (1-2 December 1954)
- Letter to Rayner Heppenstall (13 December 1954)