Literary Swordsmen and Sorcerers
|Literary Swordsmen and Sorcerers: The Makers of Heroic Fantasy|
|Author||L. Sprague de Camp|
|Foreword by||Lin Carter|
|Illustrator||Tim Kirk (jacket)|
|Publisher||Sauk City, Wisconsin: Arkham House Publishers|
|Format||Hardcover with dustjacket|
Literary Swordsmen and Sorcerers: The Makers of Heroic Fantasy is a collection of articles by L. Sprague de Camp.
Chapter IX, "Merlin in Tweeds: J.R.R. Tolkien" (based on the article "White Wizard in Tweeds", Fantastic Stories November 1976), is a literary analysis of the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. The article also includes recollections of and a quote from Tolkien noted by de Camp during his visit in 1967 (see pp. 243-4).
- Lin Carter: "Introduction: Neomythology"
- I. "The Swords of Faërie"
- II. "Jack of All Arts: William Morris"
- III. "Two Men in One: Lord Dunsany"
- IV. "Eldritch Yankee Gentleman: H.P. Lovecraft"
- V. "Superman in a Bowler: E.R. Eddison"
- VI. "The Miscast Barbarian: Robert E. Howard"
- VII. "Parallel Worlds: Fletcher Pratt"
- VIII. "Sierran Shaman: Clark Ashton Smith"
- IX. "Merlin in Tweeds: J.R.R. Tolkien"
- X. "The Architect of Camelot: T.H. White"
- XI. "Conan's Compeers"