This article or section needs to be cleaned up to conform to a higher standard of article quality.
This article or section needs more/new/more-detailed sources to conform to a higher standard and to provide proof for claims made.
|"Mistress Lobelia" by John Howe|
|Other names||Lobelia Bracegirdle|
Bag End, Hobbiton
|Birth||S.R. 1318 |
|Death||S.R. 1420 (aged 102)|
|Parentage||Blanco Bracegirdle and Primrose Boffin|
|Gallery||Images of Lobelia Sackville-Baggins|
Lobelia was born in Hardbottle and was renowned in the The Shire for her temper and greed. She married Bilbo Baggins's cousin Otho Sackville-Baggins, and they had one child together, Lotho, who was born in S.R. 1364.
Her envy of Bag End was well-known;  she could not wait to inherit it, and was furious when Bilbo made Frodo his heir. However, when Frodo left for Crickhollow he sold Bag End to Lobelia, but unfortunately Otho had died by then.
During the War of the Ring, Lobelia was imprisoned in Lockholes for arguing with the Chief's Men, and attacking one of them with an umbrella. When she came out, Lobelia was popular for the first time for bravely standing up to the Saruman's Men. However, she was crushed to find out her son had been murdered whilst she was in prison.
After the War of the Ring, Lobelia returned to her home village to live with the other Bracegirdles, giving Bag End to Frodo. When she died, she gave her money to Frodo to be used to help hobbits left homeless by Saruman and her son.
Portrayal in adaptations
|Lobelia in adaptations|
- Although she is only named in passing, Diana Bishop plays Lobelia at Bilbo's 111th Birthday party. She and Otho are given a brief exchange complaining about being part of "one gross", and questioning what "Frodo coming into his inheritance" means.
1995-8: Middle-earth Collectible Card Game:
- In the expansion Dark Minions, Lobelia appears as two different cards: "Mistress Lobelia" is a Resource Ally, and "Lobelia Sackville-Baggins" is an Agent.
- Lobelia (portrayed by Elizabeth Moody) appears briefly along with Otho in the film, attempting to confront Bilbo during his farewell party, though Bilbo manages to elude their presence.
- Lobelia (voiced by Jennifer Hale) appears in Bywater. Frodo has to give her the Bag End Deed as one of the first missions. When Frodo approaches her she insists he first warn Robin Smallburrow of the wolves in the Shire by ringing the warning bell. Frodo does so, before presenting an exhilirated Lobelia with the Bag End Deed.
- Lobelia is seen briefly in the Extended Edition (along with Otho) in the marketplace outside of the Green Dragon Inn. The character's costume is deliberately ostentatious to be "bright and show-offy" as "she aspires to the best dressed lady in Hobbiton".
- She and Otho are also seen at the end of the film when Bilbo's possessions are being auctioned off as he returns to the Shire. Lobelia pretends not to know who Bilbo is, but he calls her on it. She is portrayed by Erin Banks.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix C, "Baggins of Hobbiton"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, "The Return Journey"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "A Part of the Shire" map
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Grey Havens"
- ↑ Jim Allan (1978), An Introduction to Elvish, "Giving of Names" p.195
- ↑ "(Results from search for cards in the game Middle Earth)", Tradecardsoneline.com (accessed 26 March 2014)
- ↑ Daniel Falconer, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey: Chronicles: Art & Design, p. 23