On this day... (July 26)
- 1956 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 191.
- 1973 - Lord Halsbury visits J.R.R. Tolkien.
- 1980 - Mythcon XI at University of Nevada, Reno.
- 1981 - The twenty-first episode of the 1981 radio series of The Lord of the Rings is aired on BBC Radio 4.
- 1985 - Mythcon XVI in Wheaton, Illinois.
- 1987 - Mythcon XVIII at Marquette University, Milwaukee.
- 1991 - Mythcon XXII in San Diego, California.
- 1996 - Mythcon XXVII at University of Colorado in Boulder, Colorado.
- 2002 - Mythcon XXXIII at Boulder, Colorado.
- 2003 - Mythcon XXXIV in Nashville, Tennessee.
- 2009 - Tolkien Thing 2009 in Rieneck, Germany.
- 2012 - The Saga of Hrolf Kraki, translated by Stella M. Mills, is published in a new edition, with a Foreword by Priscilla Tolkien.
- "Morgoth held hurled aloft Grond, Hammer of the Underworld, and swung it down like a bolt of thunder. But Fingolfin sprang aside, and Grond rent a mighty pit in the earth, whence smoke and fire darted. Many times Morgoth essayed to smite him, and each time Fingolfin leaped away, as a lightning shoots from under dark cloud; and he wounded Morgoth with seven wounds, and seven times Morgoth gave a cry of anguish, whereat the hosts of Angband fell upon their faces in dismay, and the cries echoed in the Northlands."
- ― J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin"
- Featured quotes