Mayor of Michel Delving
The Mayor of Michel Delving was the elected leader of Michel Delving, the de facto capital of the Shire. Though the responsibilities Mayoralty itself amounted to little more than presiding at banquets, the office was attached to that of Postmaster and First Shirriff and so by the end of the Third Age had surpassed the Thainship as the most important official position in the shire, so much so that its occupant was commonly known as the Mayor of the Shire.
Mayors of Michel Delving
Will Whitfoot was the Mayor of Michel Delving during the War of the Ring. An old and fat hobbit, he was largely regarded as a harmless figure of fun but showed his mettle when in T.A. 3019 he was one of the few hobbits that protested Lotho Sackville-Baggins' takeover of the Shire on behalf of Saruman, and in return was imprisoned in the Lockholes by Lotho's Ruffians. He was released following the Scouring of the Shire, and Frodo Baggins acted as his Deputy until he had recovered.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, "Prologue": Of the Ordering of the Shire.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "Later Events Concerning the Members of the Fellowship of the Ring".
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "Strider".
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Scouring of the Shire".
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Grey Havens".