Mayor of Michel Delving
The Mayor was chosen by the hobbits every seven years at Lithe, during the Free Fair on the White Downs. Though the responsibilities of Mayoralty itself amounted to little more than presiding at banquets, the office was attached to that of Postmaster and First Shirriff.
Mayors of Michel Delving
Will Whitfoot was the Mayor of Michel Delving during the War of the Ring. An old and fat hobbit, he was largely regarded as a harmless figure of fun, but showed his mettle when in T.A. 3019 he was one of the few hobbits that protested Lotho Sackville-Baggins' takeover of the Shire on behalf of Saruman, and in return was imprisoned in the Lockholes by Lotho's Ruffians. He was released following the Scouring of the Shire, and Frodo Baggins acted as his Deputy until he had recovered.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Sauron Defeated, "Part One: The End of the Third Age: XI. The Epilogue: The second version"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, "Prologue", "Of the Ordering of the Shire"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "Later Events Concerning the Members of the Fellowship of the Ring"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, "Perry-the-Winkle"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "Strider"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Scouring of the Shire"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Grey Havens"