Michel Delving was the chief town of the Shire. It was located in the White Downs that lay within the Westfarthing on the East Road. This large town was unofficially considered to be more or less the Hobbits' "capital". The Mayor of Michel Delving (or of the Shire) was the only real official in the Shire, under whom were attached the offices of Postmaster and First Shirriff for the entire region.
Its name means simply "Large Excavation". Michel and mickle- (cf. Mickleburg) are derived from the Old English "micel," words meaning "much" or "large".
Portrayal in adaptations
2007: The Lord of the Rings Online:
- Hobbits are able to quick travel to Michel Delving if they have earned the trait, have it equipped and have one travel ration.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "A Part of the Shire" map
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, "Prologue", "Of the Ordering of the Shire"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "At the Sign of the Prancing Pony"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, "Prologue", "Concerning Hobbits"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Scouring of the Shire"