Mushrooms were a tasty kind of edible fungus, and a particular favourite of the Hobbits.
In the Shire, it seems those that grew in the boggy region of the Marish were the most prized. Farmer Maggot grew them in his fields, and Frodo stole mushrooms from Maggot's fields as a child. He revisited the same farm years later, and Old Maggot and his wife gave Frodo a parting gift – a basket of mushrooms.
Portrayal in adaptations
- Though the scenes in Maggot's house have been omitted, a nod to mushrooms is given when the four Hobbits escape Farmer Maggot. Pippin spots them after a comment on a "short cut", making the full phrase sound as "A short cut to... mushrooms!", the chapter title.
- Mushrooms are collectible items found throughout the Shire. When ate, they restore 10 points of the player's health.
2003: Sierra's The Hobbit:
- Mushrooms serve as power-ups throughout the game. One mushroom - green and blue of colour - restores one health bubble, later in the game, larger, clustered mushrooms serve as a full healing item.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "A Short Cut to Mushrooms"
- ↑ Peter Jackson, Philippa Boyens, Fran Walsh (adaptors), Peter Jackson's The Fellowship of the Ring, "A Short Cut to Mushrooms"
- ↑ The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (video game), "The Shire"
- ↑ The Hobbit (2003 video game), "Hobbiton"
- ↑ The Hobbit (2003 video game), "Flies and Spiders"