Mushrooms were a particular delight of young Frodo Baggins, who would often steal them from Farmer Maggot's fields. Old Maggot still remembered it when Frodo came to his farm years later, and as a parting gift, Mrs. Maggot gave Frodo a basket of the prized mushrooms.
Portrayal in adaptations
- Though the scenes in Maggot's house have been omitted, a nod to mushrooms is given when the four Hobbits escape Farmer Maggot. Pippin spots them after a comment on a "short cut", making the full phrase sound as "A short cut to... mushrooms!", the chapter title.
- Mushrooms are collectible items found throughout the Shire. When ate, they restore 10 points of the player's health.
2003: Sierra's The Hobbit:
- Mushrooms serve as power-ups throughout the game. One mushroom - green and blue of colour - restores one health bubble. Later in the game, larger, clustered mushrooms serve as a full healing item.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "A Short Cut to Mushrooms"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Humphrey Carpenter, Christopher Tolkien (eds.), The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter 213 (dated October 25, 1958)
- ↑ The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, "A Short Cut to Mushrooms"
- ↑ The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (video game), "The Shire"
- ↑ The Hobbit (2003 video game), "Hobbiton"
- ↑ The Hobbit (2003 video game), "Flies and Spiders"