|Location||Southeast of Mount Dolmed|
Nogrod lay in the north central part of the mountain range, near Mount Dolmed where the Dwarf-road of Beleriand crossed into Eriador. It was home to the Dwarven House of the Firebeards. Nogrod was also the home to the great Dwarven smiths Gamil Zirak and Telchar.
The city was built sometime during the Years of the Trees when the western Dwarf Fathers awoke from beneath Mount Dolmed.
Eöl the Dark Elf often went there, as did his son Maeglin. While initially friendly to the Elves of Beleriand, the Dwarves of Nogrod killed Thingol of Doriath in his treasury after having grafted the treasure of Nargothrond for him, and they returned to sack the city after the departure of Melian and her protective Girdle of Melian. They were hunted down by Beren Erchamion and killed by his army of Laiquendi and a group of Ents at the Battle of Sarn Athrad.
Like Belegost a little to the North, Nogrod was ruined during the War of Wrath, when the Blue Mountains were broken and the Gulf of Lune flowed into Eriador. However it seems that possible that at least one of the cities was rebuilt and lived up through the Fourth Age.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Map of Beleriand and the Lands to the North"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "Narn i Hîn Húrin (The Tale of the Children of Húrin)", The Departure of Túrin
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Sindar"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Ruin of Doriath"
- ↑ Article
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Lost Road and Other Writings, "Part Three: The Etymologies" p.384