Orophin was a Silvan Elf of Lothlórien.
Orophin was the brother of Haldir and Rúmil. He was one of three wardens met by the Fellowship as they entered the Golden Wood.
Of the name Orophin, it is said that it is "suitable to Sindarin sounds and patterns" although it is "not clearly etymologizable as Sindarin".
Orophin could mean "Small Tree", from oron and pîn, or "Mountain Peak", from orod and pind.
Portrayal in adaptations
1995-8: Middle-earth Collectible Card Game:
- Orophin is a Warrior/Ranger Elf.
2001-7: The Lord of the Rings Trading Card Game:
- An elf of Lórien is identified as being Orophin in three cards, Orophin, Silvan Elf (17S11), Orophin, Lorien Bowman (1U56) and Orophin, Brother of Haldir (12C20).
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "Lothlórien"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, "Words, Phrases and Passages in Various Tongues in The Lord of the Rings", in Parma Eldalamberon XVII (edited by Christopher Gilson), p. 51
- ↑ Didier Willis, Elfling Message 24600