Frame Father Robert Murray (b. 1925), an English Roman Catholic theologian and grandson of Sir James Murray (the founder of the Oxford English Dictionary), was a personal friend of J.R.R. Tolkien and the Tolkien family.
From 1944, Murray was entrusted to proofread drafts and manuscripts of The Lord of the Rings. Several letters from Tolkien to Father Murray were published in The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien (letters 142, 156, 209)
During the Tolkien Centenary Conference in Oxford (1992), Father Murray gave the sermon preach at the Thanksgiving service.
- 1973: The Tablet, 15 September 1973
- "A Tribute to Tolkien"
- 1995: Proceedings of the J.R.R. Tolkien Centenary Conference
- "Sermon at Thanksgiving Service, Keble College Chapel, 23rd August 1992"
- 1999: Tolkien: A Celebration: Collected Writings on a Literary Legacy
- "J.R.R. Tolkien and the Art of the Parable" [reprint of the sermon given the Tolkien Centenary Conference]
- J.R.R. Tolkien; Humphrey Carpenter, Christopher Tolkien (eds.), The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter 142, (dated 4 August 1953)
- Pearce, Joseph, Tolkien: A Celebration: Collected Writings on a Literary Legacy
- Hammond, Wayne G. and Scull, Christina, The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide: Reader's Guide, pp.614-5