Sarn Ford was the stone ford on the River Baranduin, on the far southern borders of the Shire. It was guarded by the Rangers of the North. However, on September 22, T.A. 3018, the Rangers were driven off by the arrival in the evening of the Ringwraiths.
Portrayal in adaptations
1982-97: Middle-earth Role Playing:
- Sarn Ford (colloquial name for Iach Sarn or Athrad Sarn) is a ford maintained by an Arthedain garrison. The site is given a detailed description and history.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Great Years"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (eds), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, p. 163
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, "Nomenclature of The Lord of the Rings" in Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (eds), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, p. 775
- ↑ Humphrey Carpenter, J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography
- ↑ Mark Rabuck (1992), Northwestern Middle-earth Gazetteer (#4002)
- ↑ Wesley Frank (1995), The Shire (#2017)
- ↑ Wesley J. Frank, et al. (1997), Arnor: The Land (#2023)