The first true Pipe-weed was cultivated around the year S.R. 1070 by Tobold Hornblower of Longbottom, although the Hobbits of Bree claimed to be the first to have smoked the herb. Smoking had spread from the Hobbits to Dwarves, Rangers, and Wizards.
- "I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). [...] I smoke a pipe..."
- ― Letter 213
People who had met Tolkien noticed that a pipe was almost always in his hand or mouth, often making difficult to understand his speech.
Portrayal in adaptations
1995-8: Middle-earth Collectible Card Game:
- The card "Smoke Rings" enables the player to re-use one of his discarded characters.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, "Prologue", "Concerning Pipe-weed"
- ↑ Humphrey Carpenter, J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien Talks about the Discovery of Middle-earth, the Origins of Elvish by Richard Plotz, in Seventeen
- ↑ "Smoke Rings" , TradeCardsOnline.com (accessed 26 June 2012)