- The Road goes ever on and on
- Down from the door where it began.
- Now far ahead the Road has gone,
- And i must follow,if I can,
- Pursuing it with weary feet,
- Until it joins some larger way
- Where many paths and errands meet.
- And whither then? I cannot say.
The Fellowship of the Ring (1954) A Long-Expected Party. The song Bilbo sings as he walks away from bag-end
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Blunt the knives and bend the forks!
That's what Bilbo Baggins hates-
Smash the bottles and the burn the corks!
Cut the cloth and tread on the fat!
Pour the milk on the pantry floor
Leave the bones on the bedroom mat!
Splash the wine on every door!
Dump the crocks in a boiling bowl;
Pound the milk on the pantry floor!
And wehn you've finished, if any are whole,
Send the wine on every door!
Tha's what Bilbo Baggins hates!
So, carefully! carefully with plates!
- The Hobbit (1937) An Unexpected Party