Sotheby's Literature and Illustration 11-12 July 2002
Revision as of 00:44, 29 May 2014 by Mithbot
|Sotheby's Literature and Illustration including the Library of Neville L. Fawkes, CBE 11-12 July 2002|
- Lot 781 (pp.367-9) - This lot consists of a First Edition copy of The Hobbit inscribed to Tolkien's aunt Jane Neave, together with a handwritten chart giving the name and roman equivalent of each rune used on Thror's Map. The chart is reproduced in a photograph.
- Lot 785 (p.372) - This lot consists of an inscribed 1956/57/55 set of The Lord of the Rings together with a letter to M.R. Ridley, dated 27 September 1961. As well as including extracts from the letter, a tengwar inscription of the phrase 'Nai hiruvalyë Valimar' (Maybe thou shalt find Valimar) is reproduced in a photograph.
- Lot 786 (pp.372-3) - This lot consists of a six page letter to Mrs. Mumby, dated 21 October 1963. The extracts reproduced here discuss The Lord of the Rings as an imaginary world and the references to an earlier history, as well as giving answers to questions posed by Mrs. Mumby's son Stephen. The first page of the letter is reproduced in a photograph. (This lot was offered again in a later Sotheby's catalogue, see Lot 528, Sotheby's Literature, History and Children's Books 12 December 2002)
- Lot 789 (pp.374-5) - Four letters to Pauline Baynes dating from 23 November 1961 to 3 August 1962 - the lot description includes quotes discussing The Adventures of Tom Bombadil. Five pages from the letters are reproduced in a photograph. (Previously published in an earlier Sotheby's catalogue, see Lot 554, Sotheby's Valuable Printed Books and Manuscripts 13 December 2001)
- ↑ An Illustrated Tolkien Bibliography at Tolkienbooks.net