Talk:Kingdom under the Mountain
I just realized that the information covered here is also covered (or should be) in such articles as Erebor and Dwarves of Erebor. Although they are distinct entities, they have the same history. A same "problem" can be seen in other articles such as Dale and Men of Dale or Gondor and Gondorians etc. Perhaps we should adopt a policy about which article should have the more detailed history.
The Star Trek wiki for example has articles such as "Human history", "Klingon history" and so on, avoiding thus to repeat the history in the "Klingon" (species) page or their planet's page. Sage 22:18, 31 July 2012 (UTC)
- I would favour an option not repeating too much information, as it's easy to create internal links.--Morgan 22:50, 31 July 2012 (UTC)
- And where that would be? The people page, the location page, or the political entity page? Sage 08:20, 1 August 2012 (UTC)
- I'm not sure. My suggestion is to include the most detailed descriptions on the lowest page in the hierarchy, so the top-level articles can link to lower-level articles (e.g., a top-level article would be "Gondorians", while an individual article on a Gondorian would be a low-level article; similarly, the article "Men" would be above "Gondorians"). However, as you note, it becomes more complicated when articles about similar concepts roughly share the same level in this hierarchy.--Morgan 23:11, 1 August 2012 (UTC)
- Gondor the kingdom/stewardship is not a separate article from Gondor the place. But Rhovanion the place is separate from Rhovanion the kingdom. We're not consistent on this and there are very good arguments on both sides. I'm not sure I have an answer. --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 07:57, 2 August 2012 (UTC)
- I tend to support concentrating the history section on political entities. That means write almost everything about the history of Erebor and the Dwarves in Kingdom Under the Mountain. The article on Erebor should contain only geological and morphological information, and be purged of historical information (except of its history while the Kingdom did not exist). Same for the Dwarves of Erebor, the article should concentrate perhaps on the persons and their actions, especially while far from Erebor (such as Balin's colony or Gimli's colony).
- If there is a conscencous for this, or another, pattern, perhaps we should apply it to other inter-related articles (such as Rhovanion vs. Kingdom of Rhovanion) to keep the wiki clean and consistent Sage 10:04, 2 August 2012 (UTC)