I think much of this article could be merged with Khazad-dûm, and only the following essentials be left/mentioned here:
- Start with "the main article is at Kh-D"
- Use of the term (after Durin's Bane)
- By Dwarves (did Khuzdul have a term for it? Balin's tomb calls it Kh-D, but Moria in Westron).
- In "Westron" (same as above:to what degree did Westron speakers refer to it, rather than translations?
- Appearance on the Doors of Durin: I've seen the following theories (doors pre-date name!)
- Error by JRRT?
- Emendation by Gandalf as he red up the text?
- Emendation by Frodo, who did not know Khuzdul?
- Emendation by some later Gondorian scribe (Findegil?) because the term Kh-D wasn't used in Gondor?
- Very unlikely: someone changed the writing on the doors
- mention the different translations:
- Black Gulf (Return o/t shadow?)
- Black Pit (?)
- Black Chasm (Etym?)
- Inspiration of the name: somewhere in the Letters, JRRT mentions Soria Moria Castle. Perhaps with a "History of the name", first mentioned in The Hobbit
- a see also: Moria (computer game)
I'd love to do this myself, but I lack time at the moment. Maybe any of the Dwarf lovers here would like to do it? -- Ederchil 14:01, 15 April 2008 (EDT)