Revision as of 12:49, 10 June 2010 by Morgan
- Interesting, I had no idea that they're the same person. I made a search on google, and could only find some discussions on forums that refer to this fact/claim. Do we have any other sources? --Morgan 14:11, 9 June 2010 (UTC)
- Ruth Lacon is her name, Elizabeth Currie is the pseudonym she uses for writing. It's an open secret amongst active Tolkien Society members.
- OK, will this do? This is two a letter to the then editor of Mallorn, Len Sanford, with his response.
Please find enclosed for your attention a copy of a letter sent to Andrew Butler on 20/03/2006, after I had received legal advice on the editorial of Amon Hen no.198 and related matters. As the editors of the second offical publication of The Tolkien Society, I do think you should be made aware of this situation in case any similar requests to print statements breaching confidence should be made to you. If any such breach of confidence or other unwarranted and insulting material regarding myself and Mr Alex Lewis appears in Mallorn, I will be exceedingly angry. This situation needs to be resolved for the good of the Society rather than made worse.
- ― Mallorn 44, Letters
- And a response:
- "Miss Lacon is referring to the confidential information that she and Alex Lewis are a couple (made public at Oxonmoot 2003 in the form of photographs of their Rivendell style bedchamber) and that she and author Elizabeth Currie are the same person (made public at Oxonmoot 2005). This quite accidentally became an issue when Ruth heavily praised Ms Currie's (ie, her own) book in AH197 and Alex powerfully endorsed Ruth's art show and art book in the same issue. But the information about the connections among these folk was unaccountably left out, by some freak editorial accident, no doubt.
As Ruth quite correctly points out, it is for the good of the society that such things are cleared up, especially where artwork and books are being sold to members, and we are glad to have provided this platform to do so. Ed."
- ― Mallorn 44, Letters
- The aforementioned editorial in Amon Hen 198 states, amongst other things:
- "I have been informed by several members that Elizabeth Currie is a pen-name of Ruth Lacon, who (for those who don't already know) is Alex Lewis' girlfriend. You might wish to bear this in mind when reading items like Alex' art exhibition report and Ruth's Tom Bombadil letter in the previous issue of Amon Hen."
- ― Amon Hen 198, Editorial by Andrew Butler
- Well, I'm convinced by know! ;-) IMHO, we have enough sources for supporting the claim. --Morgan 05:12, 10 June 2010 (UTC)
- I personally don't think we should give Elizabeth Currie a separate article: it should redirect to Ruth Lacon and the article can start off with "Ruth Lacon, who also uses the pseudonym Elizabeth Currie,...". after all, we don't have separate articles for "Elessar" and "Aragorn II" - why should one person get two articles? --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 11:49, 10 June 2010 (UTC)
- A redirect would be an option, of course. The reason I created (or, kept) the tentative article on EC is because we have a category of pseudonyms. However, I created this cat myself, so if other people have opinions on the necessity or desirability of such a cat, I'm open to suggestions. --Morgan 12:44, 10 June 2010 (UTC)
- Note: The cat "Pseudonyms" (as I envision it) only contains real-world persons. --Morgan 12:49, 10 June 2010 (UTC)