I would have liked to include Smaug's own quote describing himself -- "My armor is like tenfold shields, my teeth are like swords..." etc. -- but I don't have the book handy and it wasn't a quick find online.
- "My armour is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords, my claws spears, the shock of my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!" - The Hobbit, Ch. 12 'Inside Information'.
- --Earendilyon 16:52, 31 October 2006 (EST)
- Um, I already put that in the article. --Narfil Palùrfalas 18:16, 31 October 2006 (EST)
I'm considering a major rewrite of this article. As written, it goes well beyond the role of Smaug in The Hobbit, and if there's any background for Smaug outside The Hobbit, it's not included here. --Ted C 17:40, 31 October 2006 (EST)
Is there any instance of Tolkien saying "Smaug" on tape? Can we be 100% certain about the pronunciation of this? Although AppE says "au" makes an "ow" sound as in "how" (not an "aw" sound as in "thaw"), if you read it carefully that paragraph applies to Quenya and Sindarin pronunciations.
If we can't be sure we should take our the IPA at the top and the spoken file because they amount to one editor's view. If pronunciation is a matter of interpretation, we should honestly say so. --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 09:58, 5 June 2011 (UTC)
- I say, remove the pronunciation until it is referenced.--Morgan 11:47, 5 June 2011 (UTC)
- I second that. --Amroth 11:57, 5 June 2011 (UTC)