The Lord of the Rings: War in the North
|The Lord of the Rings: War in the North|
|Publisher||Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment|
|Platform||PlayStation 3, Microsoft Windows and Xbox 360|
The Lord of the Rings: War in the North is an upcoming role-playing video-game developed by Snowblind Studios and published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Windows. The game takes place during the War of the Ring, but adapts the little-mentioned battles which took place across Eriador and Rhovanion. The game will be released in 2011.
Whilst the Fellowship of the Ring travels towards Mordor to destroy the One Ring, Sauron has sent one of his most cruel servants, the Black Númenórean Agandaûr, to the North to destroy Rivendell and defeat the Free Peoples of the North. The player controls his own fellowship, a trio of fighters - a dunedain "Ranger of the North," the elven "Loremaster of Rivendell" and the dwarvern "Champion of Eriador" - to get behind enemy lines and have to stop Agandaûr before his plan succeeds.
Although the game includes familiar locations from Middle-earth it doesn't deal with the core story of The Lord of the Rings, instead choosing to create a tale which didn't happen by could have done.
Developed in association with Middle-earth Enterprises, The Lord of the Rings: War in the North explores both original and familiar narrative elements as Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment holds the rights to develop video games based on both the literary and motion picture content from The Lord of the Rings. Breaking new ground as a mature RPG video game set in Middle-earth, The Lord of the Rings: War in the North advances the RPG paradigm through innovative online, interdependent co-op play for up to three players who form their own Fellowship to fight Sauron’s forces in the North.
In The Lord of the Rings: War in the North, players can become the heroes in the great battle of the North as part of the epic War of the Ring. Exploring unseen lands, story elements and characters from Middle-earth as well as elements familiar from past feature films, gamers will experience extensive character customization and development, expansive co-op gameplay options and upgradeable weapons, skills and special abilities.
—Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, product announcement
|Unite Your Fellowship||1:03||18 March 2010||Teaser trailer; short clips of action and trolls|
|E3 2010 Trailer||1:03||10 June 2010|
|Extended Fellowship Trailer||1:34||12 August 2010||Expanded version of teaser trailer|
|War in the North @ PAX 2010||1:22||unknown||Coverage of Penny Arcade Expo exhibit|
|Untold Story||1:22||17 November 2010||Outline of plot with various shots of locations|
|Snowblind Tolkien Toast 2011||1:22||3 January 2011||No gameplay; Snowblind's birthday toast|
|The Black Númenórean||1:59||1 February 2011||Exploration of Agandaûr, the game's protagonist|
- Images from The Lord of the Rings: War in the North
- The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest, a 2010 game also published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
- The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II, a 2006 game which also took place in the north of Middle-earth
- ↑ Kotaku, "Lord of the Rings: War in the North Eyes-On Impressions: A Party of Three, dated June 17, 2010 (accessed February 5, 2011)
- ↑ Atomic MPC, "Lord of the Rings: War in the North dev interview, page 1", dated December 22 2010 (accessed February 5, 2011)
- ↑ War in the North, "Product Announcement", dated March 17, 2010 (accessed February 5, 2011)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Atomic MPC, "Lord of the Rings: War in the North dev interview, page 2", dated December 22 2010 (accessed February 5, 2011)