The Party Tree
Revision as of 04:19, 22 February 2007 by Hyarion
- Possibly a willow hanging over the mill-pool at Sarehole, Warwickshire, England
- "‘They’ve cut it down!’ cried Sam. ‘They’ve cut down the Party Tree!’ He pointed to where the tree had stood under which Bilbo had made his Farewell Speech. It was lying lopped and dead in the field. As if this was the last straw Sam burst into tears."
- ― The Lord of the Rings, The Scouring of the Shire
- "One incident in particular remained in his [Tolkien’s] memory: “There was a willow hanging over the mill-pool [at Sarehole] and I learned to climb it. It belonged to a butcher on the Stratford Road, I think. One day they cut it down. They didn’t do anything with it: the log just lay there. I never forgot that.""
- ― J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography