The Return of the Ring
|The Return of the Ring|
|Location||Loughborough University, England|
|Organizer||The Tolkien Society|
|Dates||16-20 August, 2012|
The Return of the Ring: Celebrating Tolkien in 2012 was a convention hosted by The Tolkien Society. It was held at Loughborough University, England, 16-20 August, 2012. The convention marked the seventy-fifth anniversary of the publication of The Hobbit.
- Academic streams (two or three in lecture theatres): lectures, panels, visual presentations, etc.
- Creative stream: hand-on doing things, workshops and the like.
- Fandom stream: anything that is inspired through fandom.
- Dealers’ Room: there is a good sized room for the dealers on the ground floor with space for signings.
- Art Show: we have a nice light, airy room to display art to good advantage.
- Bar and hospitality facilities: a large bar in a central area on the ground floor and a caffeteria [sic] on the first floor.
- Child-friendly activities for younger people with their parents (we won’t be providing child minding or a crèche)
- Tours: we're planning to repeat the popular coach trips to Birmingham and Oxford, and possibly elsewhere too.''
Video from Peter Jackson, Alan Lee, and John Howe
In addition to donating two items for the auction (A The Lord of the Rings (extended edition) Blu-ray boxset and a ComicCon 2012 The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey poster, both signed by Jackson), Peter Jackson, Alan Lee, and John Howe sent their greetings and best wishes to the Return of the Ring. The video was played at the opening ceremony to the event.