The War of the Jewels
Revision as of 17:12, 24 July 2011 by Mith
|The War of the Jewels|
|Author||J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien|
Houghton Mifflin (US)
|Released||20 October 1994 (UK)|
6 December 1994 (US)
This volume includes:
- The second part of the 1951 Silmarillion drafts
- An expanded account of "The Grey Annals" — the history of Beleriand after the coming of the Elves.
- Additional narratives involving Húrin and the tragedy of his children (see Narn i Chîn Húrin). "The Wanderings of Húrin" is the conclusion to the "Narn". This was not included in the final Silmarillion because Christopher Tolkien feared that the heavy compression which would have been necessary to make it a stylistic match with the rest of the book would have been too difficult and would have made the story overly complex and difficult to read.
- Christopher Tolkien's explanation of how he, with the collaboration of fantasy author Guy Gavriel Kay, constructed Chapter 22 of The Silmarillion, since none of the texts left by Tolkien for this purpose were up-to-date enough to serve the purpose. In particular, the old texts all have Thingol portrayed as a miserly swindler who cheats the Dwarves out of their payment, and the portrayal of the Girdle of Melian in the older stories is much weaker than the impenetrable barrier of the post-Lord of the Rings writings.
- "Quendi and Eldar" which discusses in greater detail the origin of the Elves and their sunderings.
- Tolkien's exploration of the origins of the Ents and the great Eagles
- "Part One. The Grey Annals"
- "Part Two. The Later Quenta Silmarillion"
- "9. Of Men"
- "10. Of the Siege of Angband"
- "11. Of Beleriand its Realms"
- "12. Of Turgon and the Building of Gondolin"
- "13. Concerning the Dwarves"
- "14. Of the Coming of Men into the West"
- "15. Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin"
- "The Last Chapters of the Quenta Silmarillion"
- "Part Three. The Wanderings of Húrin and Other Writings not forming part of the Quenta Silmarillion"
- "Part Four. Quendi and Eldar"
- "A. The principal linguistic elements concerned"
- "B. Meanings and use of the various terms applied to the Elves and their varieties in Quenya, Telerin, and Sindarin"
- "C. The Clan-names, with notes on other names for divisions of the Eldar"
- "Appendix A. Elvish names for Men"
- "Appendix B. Elvish names for the Dwarves"
- "Appendix C. Elvish names for the Orcs"
- "Appendix D. *Kwen, Quenya, and the Elvish (especially Ñoldorin) words for 'Language'"
- "Note on the 'Language of the Valar'"
- "Author's Notes to Quendi and Eldar"
- "Editorial Notes [to Quendi and Eldar]"
- "Appendix: The legend of the Awaking of the Quendi (Cuivienyarna)"