Third Age 3000
Revision as of 18:50, 18 August 2012 by Gamling
- The shadow of Mordor lengthens.
- Saruman dares to use the palantír of Orthanc, but becomes ensnared by Sauron, who has the Ithil Stone. He becomes a traitor to the White Council. His spies report that the Shire is being closely guarded by the Rangers.
- One day, Bilbo Baggins sees the Sackville-Bagginses approaching along the road. Using his Ring he evades an unwanted meeting with them. Unbeknownst to him, the whole scene is witnessed by young Meriadoc Brandybuck.
- Death of Wilibald Bolger.
Calculation of the Date
The incident of Bilbo's vanishing seen by Merry occurred (as Merry revealed to Frodo Baggins in Crickhollow on 25 September T.A. 3018) "a year before the Party". This refers to Bilbo's Farewell Party, held in 3001.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "A Conspiracy Unmasked"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix C, "Bolger of Budgeford"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Great Years"