Third Age 3018
Notable events in this year include:
- 21 - Aragorn reaches Thranduil with Gollum.
- 23 - Gandalf comes to Thranduil and questions Gollum.
- 29 - Gandalf leaves Thranduil and heads west for Hobbiton.
- 12 - Gandalf reaches Hobbiton.
- 13 - Gandalf reveals to Frodo that Bilbo's ring is the One Ring.
- 19 - Boromir and Faramir receive the riddle in their sleep.
- 20 - Sauron attacks Osgiliath. About the same time Thranduil is attacked, and Gollum escapes.
 Midyear's Day
- 1 - The Black Riders set forth to search for the One Ring. They pass northward across the Wold
- 4 - Boromir sets out from Minas Tirith.
- 10 - Gandalf imprisoned in Orthanc.
- All trace of Gollum is lost. It is thought that at about this time, being hunted both by the Elves and Sauron's servants, he took refuge in Moria; but when he had at last discovered the way to the West-gate he could not get out.
- Having failed to find the Shire, the Black Riders return to the Wold empty-handed; messengers from Sauron send them to Isengard.
- 18 - Gandalf escapes from Orthanc in the early hours. The Black Riders cross the Fords of Isen.
- 19 - Gandalf comes to Edoras as a beggar, and is refused admittance.
- 20 - Gandalf gains entrance to Edoras. Théoden commands him to go: 'Take any horse, only be gone ere tomorrow is old!' The Black Riders come to Isengard.
- 21 - Gandalf meets Shadowfax, but the horse will not allow him to come near. He follows Shadowfax far over the fields. The Black Riders encounter Gríma Wormtongue, who tells them of the location of the Shire.
- 22 - The Black Riders reach Sarn Ford at evening; they drive off the guard of Rangers. Gandalf overtakes Shadowfax.
- 23 - Four Riders enter the Shire before dawn. The others pursue the Rangers eastward, and then return to watch the Greenway. A Black Rider comes to Hobbiton at nightfall. Frodo leaves Bag End. Gandalf having tamed Shadowfax rides from Rohan.
- 24 - Gandalf crosses the Isen.
- 25 - A Black Rider approaches Farmer Maggot in Bamfurlong but he is ousted. The Hobbits later reach him who guides them with his wagon until the Bucklebury Ferry. The evening they meet Merry and reach Crickhollow. Frodo reveals them his plans, already known.
- 26 - The Old Forest. Frodo comes to Bombadil.
- 27 - Gandalf crosses Greyflood. Second night with Bombadil.
- 28 - The Hobbits captured by a Barrow-wight. Gandalf reaches Sarn Ford.
- 29 - Frodo reaches Bree at night. Gandalf visits the Gaffer.
- 30 - Crickhollow and the Inn at Bree are raided in the early hours. Frodo leaves Bree. Gandalf comes to Crickhollow, and reaches Bree at night.
- 1 - Gandalf leaves Bree.
- 3 - He is attacked at night on Weathertop. Frodo in the Midgewater Marshes sees flashes of light from the battle.
- 4 - Gandalf escapes to the north from Weathertop, followed by four Riders.
- 6 - The camp under Weathertop attacked at night Frodo wounded.
- 9 - Glorfindel leaves Rivendell.
- 11 - He drives the Riders off the Bridge of Mitheithel.
- 13 - Frodo crosses the Bridge.
- 18 - Glorfindel finds Frodo at dusk. Gandalf reaches Rivendell.
- 20 - Escape across the Ford of Bruinen.
- 24 - Frodo recovers and wakes. Boromir arrives in Rivendell at night.
- 25 - Council of Elrond.
- 18 - The membership of the Company of the Ring is chosen.
- 25 - The Company of the Ring leaves Rivendell at dusk.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "The Hunt for the Ring"
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 2.19 2.20 2.21 2.22 2.23 2.24 2.25 2.26 2.27 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Great Years"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "A Long-expected Party"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "Strider"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "A Knife in the Dark"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "The Council of Elrond"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "The Ring Goes South"