Tolkien Gateway:Featured quotes/Nominations
Featured Quote Nominations
There have never really been any standards for a Featured Quote, but let us begin. Following the general model of the Featured Article, let's specify a nomination followed by five affirmative votes; state either Agree or Disagree. The nominated quote should not exceed a single paragraph.
- "The Hobbits are just rustic English people, made small in size because it reflects the generally small reach of their imagination --not the small reach of their courage or latent power."
- ― J.R.R. Tolkien
- Disagree; though, yes, Tolkien wrote them all, the first and third are in-universe and should thus be attributed to their respective characters. -- Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 07:56, 3 February 2009 (UTC)
- Undecided -I think if you add "- not the small reach of their courage or latent power" to the end, then I might agree.-- 17:00, 19 February 2009 (UTC)
Fingolfin v. Morgoth
- "Morgoth held hurled aloft Grond, Hammer of the Underworld, and swung it down like a bolt of thunder. But Fingolfin sprang aside, and Grond rent a mighty pit in the earth, whence smoke and fire darted. Many times Morgoth essayed to smite him, and each time Fingolfin leaped away, as a lightning shoots from under dark cloud; and he wounded Morgoth with seven wounds, and seven times Morgoth gave a cry of anguish, whereat the hosts of Angband fell upon their faces in dismay, and the cries echoed in the Northlands."
- ― J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin"
I know it's a longer one - and I don't mind it being made shorter (in fact it probably is a bit too long; maybe from "Many times..." onwards) - but I just love it because I have a natural bias towards Fingolfin! Indeed, any of the quotes from this paragraph or the subsequent couple of paragraphs would, I think, be excellent because it captures a key even in the history of Arda with Tolkien's excellent literary skill. Also, would be good to have a quote about a non-Third Age event. Proposed by: --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 20:20, 31 December 2009 (UTC)