|Other names||Tulukastāz, Astaldo, Tulcus, The Valiant.|
|Coming to Arda||c. Years of the Lamps 1500.|
|Appointment||Champion of the Valar.|
Tulkas was the most warlike of the Valar and the last of them to descend into Arda, coming to the aid of the others when he heard of their war with Melkor. Melkor fled before him, and the Spring of Arda was begun.
After the Two Lamps were erected and the Valar had made their first dwelling at Almaren, Tulkas wedded Nessa in a great feast. Being weary and content he slept, and Melkor decided his hour to retaliate had come.
Tulkas is described as delighting in wrestling and contests of strength. He wielded no weapon, and rode no steed. As he cared little about either past or future, he was not a good councillor, but nonetheless a very hardy friend. He is described as being slow to wrath, but also slow to forgive—for that reason, he was one of the Valar that opposed the release of Melkor.
Tulkas also tended to be impatient; before the Awakening of the Elves he urged the other Valar to wage war against Melkor. After the Darkening of Valinor he also hurried Fëanor to take a decision about surrendering the Silmarils.
- ↑ Tulukhastāz is said to consisting of the Valarin elements tulukha(n) ("yellow") and (a)sata- ("hair of head").
- ↑ , p. 399
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Valaquenta: Account of the Valar and Maiar According to the Lore of the Eldar"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The History of Middle-earth Index, p. 361
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, "Words, Phrases and Passages in Various Tongues in The Lord of the Rings", in Parma Eldalamberon XVII (edited by Christopher Gilson), p. 181 (forms: Poldórea, Poldor, Poldomo)
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Shaping of Middle-earth, "III. The Quenta: Appendix 1: Fragments of a translation of The Quenta Noldorinwa into Old English, made by Ælfwine or Eriol; together with Old English equivalents of Elvish names"
|Lords:||Manwë · Ulmo · Aulë · Oromë · Mandos · Irmo · Tulkas|
|Queens:||Varda · Yavanna · Nienna · Estë · Vairë · Vána · Nessa|
|Manwë:||Eönwë · Olórin||Varda:||Ilmarë · Olórin · Arien|
|Ulmo:||Ossë · Uinen · Salmar||Yavanna:||Aiwendil|
|Aulë:||Mairon · Curumo||Estë:||Melian|
|Oromë:||Tilion · Alatar · Pallando||Vána:|
|Balrogs:||Gothmog · Durin's Bane|
|Wizards:||Saruman · Gandalf · Radagast · Blue Wizards (Rómestámo · Morinehtar)|
|Music · Valarin · Almaren · Valinor · Valmar · Second Music|