This article describes a concept which is mentioned in J.R.R. Tolkien's works, but was never given a definite name.
Two-headed Trolls might have been a legendary race of Trolls, as Gandalf once said that "I am afraid trolls do behave like that, even those with only one head each." If Gandalf's statement was not merely a way of speaking, perhaps the two-headed Trolls lived in the Ettenmoors.
Etten, the first element in Ettensmoor, is a word derived from Old English eōten ("giant, troll, ogre"). Historically, the Ettins have been represented as similar to giants, but with two heads.[source?] It is unknown if J.R.R. Tolkien was aware of this connection between Etten and the notion of Ettins as trolls or giants with two heads. However, in many other fictional worlds, the race of Ettin(s) are described as two-headed monsters.
Portrayal in adaptations
1982-97: Middle-earth Role Playing:
- Although neither a race of "Two-headed" Trolls nor Ettin/Ettens are mentioned, there exists an individual monster called Skessa, a crossbreed between a troll and giant, having two heads.
1995-8: Middle-earth Collectible Card Game:
- "Two-headed" Troll is a Warrior Ally for evil players.
- Ettens resemble the Hill-trolls, but they posses "not one but two long heads". The solitary creatures, a result of an ancient experiment by Morgoth, live almost exclusively in the Ettenmoors.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, "Roast Mutton"
- ↑ See section "Inspiration" below
- ↑ Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (eds), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, p. 183
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, "Nomenclature of The Lord of the Rings" in Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (eds), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, p. 770
- ↑ Dungeons and Dragons (1977), Monster Manual; see further Ettin (Dungeons & Dragons) at Wikipedia
- ↑ Ettin at World of Warcraft Wiki (accessed 15 November 2010)
- ↑ Zachariah Woolf (1995), Lake-town (#2016)
- ↑ Scott Bennie, Mike Mearls, Steve Miller, Aaron Rosenberg, Chris Seeman, Owen Seyler, and George Strayton (2003), Fell Beasts and Wondrous Magic
|Legendary Races of Arda|
|Animals:||Dumbledors · Gorcrows · Hummerhorns · Pards · Swans of Gorbelgod · Turtle-fish|
|Dragon-kind:||Great glow-worms · Sea-serpents · Spark-dragons · Were-worms|
|Evil Races:||Giants · Gongs · Half-trolls · Hobgoblins · Ogres · Snow-trolls · Two-headed Trolls|
|Fairies:||Dryads · Leprechauns/Leprawns · Mermaids · Sprites · Sylphs · White cow|
|Other:||Badger-folk · Great beasts · Lintips · Mewlips · Nameless Things · Spectres|
|Individuals:||The Hunter · Lonely Troll · Man in the Moon · The Rider · River-woman · Tarlang · Tim|