Welcome to Ederchil's talk page.
WITN release year
- Couple of reasons:
- No markup.
- No sources.
- No composition.
- Poor spelling.
- POV. He begins "in a subtle fasion [sic]"? That's commentary.
- Basically, that an article requires a rewrite does not mean we can accept anything. --Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 21:40, 27 February 2012 (UTC)
- Well, I still think it was a pretty good summary (although especially suffering from a POV as you say, - but the poor spelling is easily fixed and if the POV is removed no sources would be needed as it would be only a summary). I'll have a go at editing the anonymous user's text.--Morgan 12:48, 28 February 2012 (UTC)
- It was more work than I expected ;-) --Morgan 14:26, 28 February 2012 (UTC)
- Sorry, full day of classes. Looks like Mith already has it. --Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 14:45, 16 April 2012 (UTC)
As far as I know, it hasn't been published yet.--Morgan 16:03, 25 April 2012 (UTC)
IMHO, I don't think it's problematic to use Noel as a source in those cases where no other analyses of a name have appeared. Especially if we're clear about giving the reference and denoting the etymology as being a "suggestion". And if a new analysis appears, it's possible to see how olkien linguists have historically interpreted a certain word. I'd say it's a bit similar to "Portrayal in Adaptions": even if we don't think that this or that adaptation was authentic, we still include it for the sake of completeness. What do you think? --Morgan 14:44, 22 June 2012 (UTC)
- Normally I'd say true, but in this case, it's so obviously proven incorrect by later info that we'd best not mention it. I haven't checked the Etymologies, Elfling or PE yet for a more accurate etymology. --Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 14:51, 22 June 2012 (UTC)
Hi I'm Vaire thanks for making my user page open for other people and a real page, and I have a question, on the user page how do you add the box on the side where you can describe yourself? You can tell me on my user page Vaire
Thank you, sorry about the mistakes I made in editing Vaire
I did what it said to do in the here but when I saved it just said all the things I typed, I did do it on my iPad if that makes a difference. Vaire
- I have no idea what you're trying to tell me. You tried what? --Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 17:10, 27 June 2012 (UTC)
For the user info box I copied what it said on the link you gave me and filled it out and I saved it an my user page but the box did not come up it just said was I typed, but when I typed it I used my iPad, does that make I difference? Vaire
- No, it went wrong because you typed the template instead of copy pasting it. Those vertical lines aren't capital I's. That's a "pipe", |. You can find it on uppercase \ on most keyboards, not sure about the iPad. I fixed it, it displays properly now. --Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 18:38, 27 June 2012 (UTC)
Thank you!! And I think that I can edit know Vaire
Thank you for telling me about adding the catagorys when creating a page about a year. Vaire 16:18, 23 July 2012 (UTC)
Perhaps add £ $ € to the insert box? I have neither of these on my keyboard.--Morgan 23:18, 30 July 2012 (UTC)
- They're already on there. Okay, not the Dollar, but Pound and Euro are. --Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 07:24, 31 July 2012 (UTC)
Deletion of old version of images
- Thanks!-- 22:56, 21 September 2012 (UTC)
Reverts on my edits to Fingon and Turgon.
Hi there. Recently, I made some contribution to the Etymologies of Fingon and Turgon. The original writing did not give clear meanings, and just showed a lot of IPA. I made some proper edits to them, quoting from Tokien's works, showing the roots of all the different elements within their names. however, my edits appear to have been removed since i didn't reference the facts. This is not strictly true, since I wrote all the references to my information directly in the section. I just didn't show them as footnote references. Will you revert it? Should i add footnote references?
--Reallyfat 17:26, 11 February 2013 (UTC)
- Couple of points:
- Yes, inline notes are preferred. See here for all the sourcing templates.
- You should never, ever, use the first person on a wiki. "We know..." Aargh.
- Beginning a second paragraph with "Note that"... also a stylistic no no.
- The entire second paragraph of Fingon is incorrect. Caun is attested Sindarin, and it would become -gon.
- So, it's not at all about sources... it's because cleaning up required too much work, and would eventually be no different from the original. --Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 17:34, 11 February 2013 (UTC)
Right, thanks a lot. I will remove the second paragraph there and in Turgon., since i was not paying attention to "Caun". I wonder how I overlooked it? I was following the books all the way. Anyway, I will do that, and take care with the first person in future. Apart from that, can the translations remain up?
PS: What is wrong with saying "note that"? --Reallyfat 17:56, 11 February 2013 (UTC)
Right. I will keep that in mind. So, CAN I post my edits (with the amendments made)? I just want to putthe proper translations up, since these current ones aren't exactly correct. Plus, Sarafinwë is only from Parma Eldalamberon, It isn't even from Tolkien's works. —Unsigned comment by Reallyfat (talk • contribs).
- Parma Eldalamberon publishes works by Tolkien. --Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 14:00, 12 February 2013 (UTC)
Where in any version of the Legendarium, the old HoMe, or any of tolkiens letters is Sarafinwë mentioned? The only source we have is Parma Eldalamberon, Parma 17. --Reallyfat 04:10, 13 February 2013 (UTC)