- Internal pages:
- External Wikipedia pages:
I hope you enjoy editing here and we look forward to your future edits. By the way, you can sign your name on Talk and vote pages using three tildes, like this: ~~~. Four tildes (~~~~) produces your name and the current date. If you have any questions, see the help pages, add a question to the Council forums or ask me on my talk page. Keep up the great work! — Hyarion
Niet ver van uw domicilie; 'k kom bij tijd en wijle wel in Grunn' :-) ~ Earendilyon 14:57, 21 January 2008 (EST)
- 'k Hoop niet dat je te veel verwacht van dat schotschrift van Uyldert. 't Is om te huilen! ~ Earendilyon 16:34, 6 March 2008 (EST)
- 'k Kan me niet herinneren, dat ik em gezien heb, toen ik er laatst was, maar 'k zag wel vlekken voor de ogen, toen ik bij de Tolkienia stond! ~ Earendilyon 12:30, 7 March 2008 (EST)
Hey there Ederchil, I just thought I'd let you know about the IRC chat, feel free to join if you ever feel like it, there's at least a couple MinasTirith.com members (Ardamir, Halion, Mith, myself) or wiki editors usually on. We're hoping soon there will be enough interest so we can setup weekly meetings to discuss the wiki. --Hyarion 17:26, 27 January 2008 (EST)
- I'm not really a chatter, but I'll try and figure it out. -- Ederchil 09:07, 28 January 2008 (EST)
You've been doing a great job with the year articles, they're looking so much better now. One thing that's been on my mind is how we can store the data more efficiently. For instance I've started creating articles such as January 1 which will list all the events that have ocurred on January 1st both on Earth and on Arda. Then we can include these articles into the Main Page to see what happened today. I haven't quite figured out the best layout for the page, since we'll want to easily include these. Also, I think we can probably be more specific as to what the Fellowship of the Ring was doing on that day. Like if there isn't any specific event on that day, we can just say they were traveling from X to X or something.
For now I guess we'll just have to manually type things in both year and day articles, but in the future it would be nice if we could type up the event in one location and the other articles include that data somehow, I haven't figured out how to get that to work yet. It would be nice if we could display events by type too, like publication, birth, death, etc. Just thought I'd let you know what's going through my head :) --Hyarion 17:41, 28 January 2008 (EST)
- I had a similar thing in my head :). I planned to propose such a thing after I've finished the year-articles (long way from finished, still got 1921-1970 to go). -- Ederchil 03:29, 29 January 2008 (EST)
About the Lorien Elves source
You asked about a source for the Lorien Elves in the Fall of Fornost page, and I have an answer. In Appendix A, page 1016 it says that Elrond brought Elves from Lorien to help fight Angmar. Even if this was a hundred years before Fornost's fall, they were probably still aiding in the fight with the other Elf-realms and Arnor by the time Fornost fell. --Dwarf Lord 14:21, 31 March 2008 (EDT)
- Okay. Just wondering. Maybe it's better if you cite the sources too, it just looks a bit more encyclopedic. -- Ederchil 16:42, 31 March 2008 (EDT)
I do when I remember lol. --Dwarf Lord 18:09, 31 March 2008 (EDT)
Hey there Ederchil. I was just wondering what your thoughts were on the new skin. The only thing I'm a little concerned about is the light blue background makes the text somewhat hard to read. Would you prefer keeping the content inside of a white box to look more like the Main Page? If you have any other suggestions just let me know, I'd also like to change the color scheme of the main page, as well as the featured article/quote/etc when we launch the new skin, kind of a Tolkien Gateway 3.0. I'm hoping to make the switch soon, I just want to make sure the majority of people see it as an improvement. --Hyarion 17:42, 14 April 2008 (EDT)
Oh yes, the castles are very nice, which of them did you visit? Augustusburg or Falkenlust?
- The big one. Don't remember what it was called. -- Ederchil 09:23, 21 April 2008 (EDT)
Augustusburg. But at the moment the terrace of the gardenside is a building lot, it doesn't look very nice. --Sigismond 09:53, 21 April 2008 (EDT)
Hey, thanks for help with those edits on the rose cotton page. i had family over, screaming cousins and all that, couldnt really pay attention.--Quidon88 12:47, 25 April 2008 (EDT)
Hey, sorry about that, no, i was playing trivia on irc, sorry about that, im done multi tasking.--Quidon88 16:19, 26 April 2008 (EDT)
I know how you feel- 41 links! The way i figured it out was on user:smeagol's discussion page, hyarion asked him how he wanted to be credited as the artist of all those pictures, so I just redirected it to user:smeagol(as you can no doubt tell, dont know why I'm explaining it, just rambling I guess). And while I got you here, I was wondering if you'd like to join us in the chatrooms, its far easier to get a question on there, as hyarion, myself, and a lot of the other more frequent editors are almost always on there. Hyarion has even been trying to set up TG meetings, which youd be more than welcome to join in on. If it is about your internet connection, don't worry about that, i had slow dial-up for ages before finally getting hi-speed internet and was able to use the java clients with ease. Anyway, thats how I solved that problem, and I hope you join us soon.--Quidon88 11:50, 29 April 2008 (EDT)
- My internet's good - in fact, it's the envy of this house because I'm the closest of six d-links to the transmitter-watchamacallit, almost rocksteady at 54 mb/s. I've tried the chatroom a couple of times, but it doesn't always work. And when I'm in, there's nobody home. Probably because there's half a globe between me and Hyarion. I'll try it now. Okay. I'm in. Never been this in before, to be fair. -- Ederchil 13:02, 29 April 2008 (EDT)
Hey, hmmm... I looked it up and in the online dictionary was the entry to unify sth. = etw. vereinheitlichen. I want to say, that Carroux doesn't transfer the different levels of language, used by the characters very good in her translation. I'm sorry, if my English isn't every time so good, I mean for me it is a foreign language.
Maybe to standardise is a better verb? --Sigismond 11:35, 12 May 2008 (EDT)
- Simplify? -- Ederchil 12:28, 12 May 2008 (EDT)
I think to standardise is the right word for my intended meaning. --Sigismond 12:54, 12 May 2008 (EDT)
Redirections of alternative names
I notice you have recently been redirecting some new lemmata on alternative (or rejected) names to the commonly used names. I have no problem with that (but remember this, Zigil-nâd might have some etymology). However, the lemmata to which you've been redirecting don't mention the alternative name at all, so that any reader who is no expert will only wonder why he has been redirected, and will be none the wiser on the alternative name. So I have taken the liberty of incorporating the minimally necessary information you threw out on redirection to the main lemmata in question. I've also added talk to both pages based on your diff comments.
Maybe in future it would be better to make sure the redirected name is actually mentioned in the article redirected to.
Hoop dat je je daarin kunt vinden. -- Mithrennaith 12:43, 20 May 2008 (EDT)
- Mee eens; Zigil-nâd is, zeker ten aanzien van de Zirak/Zigil discussie, het invoegen waard. Maar ik wil er op wijzen dat Telperossë nergens in de boeken voorkomt (het zou bovendien *Tyelperossë of *Tyeleprossë moeten zijn), zelfs niet in The Problem of Ros. Ik heb het bovendien gegoogled; een fanfic-personage, verder niets.
- Oh, stik. In English: Yes, agree. Considering the Zirak/zigil discussion (not really well covered here, tbf) it is wirth inclusion. Telperossë (incorrect Q form) is however nothing more than a fanfic character; it does not appear in Tolkien's writings, not even The Problem of Ros. -- Ederchil 14:04, 20 May 2008 (EDT)
- Wat mij betreft kan Telperossë dan weg.
- If you want to remove Telperossë from the Celebros info box and nominate the redirected lemma for deletion, go ahead, and I'll support you.
- I've meanwhile put Ramas Echor through the same treatment - put the good bits of what 'Arwen Legolas Wilson' wrote in Rammas Echor, put my reasons for not including the rest in the Talk there, and proposed the typo for speedy deletion. -- Mithrennaith 17:03, 20 May 2008 (EDT)
- Maybe one fanfic reference is indeed a bit too shallow to base a lemma on. ~ Earendilyon 03:44, 21 May 2008 (EDT)
- I'm in favour of deletion, then. -- Mithrennaith 10:53, 21 May 2008 (EDT)
Greetings, my fellow senior editor. I want to thank you for all you do and supporting our first FA since well, the FA. As the ramrod behind the new process, though I feel I have to tell you the truth. We really can't encourage self-nomination, which is self-promotion. The article has all the parts required, but it is rather short. I've been watching, and it isn't gathering any support. I not going to vote against it, but you should consider withdrawing this nomination for the time being. I have another article in mind that is a stronger candidate.--Theoden1 19:19, 4 June 2008 (EDT)
- I know it isn't very long... but featured doesn't mean long, it means good. Glamdring is obviously not the best - I don't even like it yet. I'm still waiting on some sources to come in, and the "fate" section could do with some expansion (though it's going to be tricky to find other theories on the matter). Maybe the nomination was a bit premature?
- If the other article is Witch-king of Angmar, that one has my vote on it. TBF, I prefer it over Aragorn. But we need to create a pool of FA's, which don't necessarily need to be articles about major characters. Since we are an all-things-to-do-with-Tolkien encyclopedia, that could (should?) be reflected in FA's. -- Ederchil 02:56, 5 June 2008 (EDT)
Greetings and thank you for the welcome message!
I checked the "To-Do list" and this came to my atention:
"Decide on a slogan for TolkienNews.net. And maybe a new title? Tolkien Times?"
How about bringing some news into TolkienNews? :) Tolkien Times sounds good, but the last article there is from December2007. If updated more often, I think the site would be awesome, since it's one of the few (on Tolkien) who have RSS News Feed (basically it's TolkienNews, TheOneRing and Elfenomeno who are accurate and have RSS...at least that's what I've found so far).
All the best! :)
- For everything admin-like, check Hyarion. My bad that your welcome message links here. As for Tolkiennews, it's undergoing renovation. I think.
- So, ask Hyarion. He's in charge, he usually does the welcoming. Take in mind that he lives in California, so don't expect an immediate answer. -- Ederchil 05:51, 14 June 2008 (EDT)
I wrote to Hyarion about it. Also, thank you for correcting my article and specifying the translation of Ingoldo.
Þelma 12:11, 14 June 2008 (EDT)
Houston, we have a problem.
From Tolkien Gateway Redirect page
- REDIRECT Tar-Meneldur
BUT! When typing 'Meneldur' on 'Search', it leads me to the OLD Meneldur page, instead of Tar-Meneldur. Methinks I'm not doing this right. So pretty please, can you do it? ~~ Þelma 07:04, 13 July 2008 (EDT)
- Hmm. Works fine for me. -- Ederchil 12:47, 13 July 2008 (EDT)
- Now works for me too...Weird. Anyways, good thing that it finally works. ~~ Þelma 12:53, 13 July 2008 (EDT)
Now, I know you're a knowledgeable guy, but you could at least let the ink dry on the Second Battle of Dagorlad before you jumped on it. It's only a stub, dude. Hold your fire for a little while during construction, OK?--Theoden1 15:43, 14 July 2008 (EDT)
- Sorry. I'm feeling a bit impatient today. And maybe a bit bossy. It's all yours. -- Ederchil 15:49, 14 July 2008 (EDT)
Annatar and Glorfindel
Hello :) I hope it's alright to put this here. I just wanted to thank you for the Annatar edit, the page looks much better now! The Glorfindel drawing you mentioned, is it this one? http://www.bohemianweasel.com/Portfolio/PortfolioLotR37WGlorfindel.htm If so, please feel free to take it if you can use it somewhere. :) xx -- Bohwe 16:13, 23 July 2008 (EDT)
Hey, just a little question, is that new Glorfindel pic really better than the old old one at http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Image:BFME2_-_Glorfindel.jpg ?Ælfwine228 18:28, 23 July 2008 (EDT)