Welcome to Ederchil's talk page.
Hi Ederchil, is it possible you could add User:Mithbot to the bot usergroup (no idea why that's a redlinks: it works for me) so I can do some menial and boring tasks quickly? Thanks, --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 19:50, 9 January 2010 (UTC)
- I'm only a sysop, not a bureaucrat, so I can't change user group rights. You could PM or email Hyarion for this. -- Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 20:50, 9 January 2010 (UTC)
Main page spelling mistake
Hello - while using this wiki, I noticed that main page's featured article has a spelling mistake. It should be borne not born in the sentence "Glamdring was the sword once born by Turgon, King of Gondolin." I can't edit the page! :) Darth Newdar 17:27, 18 January 2010 (UTC)
The Peril to the Shire page
Just wanted to know why you keep editing the page I'm building on "The Peril to the Shire". I worked rather hard on it, yet you keep re-arranging and deleting stuff. It would be nice if you asked first, or at least let me know what you are up to.
Doug Dunklin, producer/director of "The Peril to the Shire" "Ltcdunk 20:29, 19 January 2010 (UTC)"
- I figured you were involved in production. First of all, thank you for contributing.
- I basically rearranged a lot to make it fit our Manual of Style and deleted a lot because it was (in my eyes) repetition. Also, a lot of text in long sentences does not improve readability, and detracts attention from your own website (we don't want to be too complete now, do we?). --Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 16:04, 20 January 2010 (UTC)
An image page won't load
I was trying to load the entry page for Image:Middle-earth (large).jpg, and all I get from the server is an empty page. I reloaded repeatedly, and I still get an empty page. I tried other images in the category I found it in, and many other pages load fine. But this page won't. A couple others won't too—I suspect that the large file size may have something to do with it, but that's just a guess. Maybe the server is failing to generate a thumbnail for images that size? I just don't know. - Gilgamesh 17:07, 25 January 2010 (UTC)
- I'm not really having trouble with the image itself, but I think you're referring to MERP: Middle-earth Role Playing Poster Maps, the page on which it is embedded. I have the same issue. I managed to sneak into the history via Morgan's contributions and removed the image (resizing it gave problems again). -- Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 21:50, 25 January 2010 (UTC)
Now an entire category page won't load, and I didn't exactly embed images into the page body either. o.o Category:Maps of Minas Tirith. It displayed mostly alright after I created it, but now the category page is just a white blank, like some of the image pages. Is it possible that MediaWiki or one of its backend programs is running out of memory? Or another kind of error? How do we fix this kind of thing? - Gilgamesh 09:32, 31 January 2010 (UTC)
- Apparently a new image problem, "Error creating thumbnail: Invalid thumbnail parameters". Don't know about the category. i'll see if I can email Hyarion about this. -- Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 14:24, 31 January 2010 (UTC)
- I've seen that problem before, on Wikia. The problem is, an image has too many millions of pixels to buffer into memory to create a thumbnail. It doesn't matter if the file itself is small—if it has very large dimensions, the thumbnail backend software runs out of memory trying to generate a thumbnail for it. This can be fixed by increasing the amount of memory it's permitted to allocate, if that is possible. I've been thinking that memory increase may greatly benefit the particular Tolkien interest that involves very highly-detailed maps, as Tolkien is full of those. Either that or we split up some of the largest images into multiple segmented image files. That'll be easy for PNGs, but not for JPEGs. Recently I uploaded some very large maps, including one of Middle-earth (Role-playing Game canon, I think), and another absolutely gorgeous non-canon map of Minas Tirith (which may have been involved in making that category page show blank). It would be a shame if those couldn't be displayed. - Gilgamesh 14:53, 31 January 2010 (UTC)
Image:Minas Anor 2000.jpg is the new Minas Tirith map I uploaded. (It's fantastic, don't you think?) It's the only Minas Tirith image of the new maps I recently uploaded, and it almost certainly is related to the page Category:Maps of Minas Tirith showing blank now.
Honestly, Tolkien wiki has hundreds of wonderful maps, and it would be in our interests to be able to display all of them, even the very large files or the images of very large dimensions. - Gilgamesh 15:01, 31 January 2010 (UTC)
Sorry about the peacock-term "beautiful". - Gilgamesh 15:10, 27 January 2010 (UTC)
- No problem. Though I do agree, it's just not encyclopedic. -- Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 16:26, 27 January 2010 (UTC)
On the future of dictionary-style entries
There has been a recent heavy debate on this at Forum:Quenya declension template appearance. Since you have weighed on this before, could you weigh in now? I originally went ahead with this project after asking about it, and you seemed to approve. To be honest, my concern is mainly linguistic and grammatical, and I didn't want to get so involved in a debate about whether linguistics on this wiki are at all even noteworthy. - Gilgamesh 01:35, 15 February 2010 (UTC)
- Sorry, my attention tends to drop away with long paragraphs and no images :), so I didn't respond. Will do now. -- Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 13:54, 15 February 2010 (UTC)
- Thank you for your feedback. You always seem like a gentle voice of wisdom here and I appreciate it. - Gilgamesh 18:11, 15 February 2010 (UTC)
Withdrawing inflection templates
Considering the highly-controversial and sometimes flame-war-bait nature of trying to fully inflect Tolkien's languages in this wiki, I want to withdraw the entire inflection project. But I'm not sure how to do it. I think it would involve deleting all the embedded templates and "Inflection" sections. But considering the heavy time and energy I put into it all, it may take about as much just to remove them. I just don't know how to get it done quickly. But I want to get this all behind me and away from this controversy. And I swear, swear, swear that I didn't have a clue about the elvish.org vs. Ardalambion controversies, etc. My primary source of all data was Ardalambion and closely associated sites. I didn't know there was such a heated holy war involved in the issue. I think I would generally agree with Ardalambion (elvish.org's FAQs sound really stuck-up to my inner anti-copyright liberal socialistic streak), but I don't want to be on the front lines of this—I don't want to be confrontational, not on purpose. I'd rather practice the fan-standardized aspects of the languages in my private user pages or other informal venues, and only practice harder data in the articles. Ederchil, please help me. Are there any more powerful wiki tools (bots, etc.) we can use to clean this up? I have to make this right. - Gilgamesh 05:12, 17 February 2010 (UTC)
- It's a pity, because you've certainly put lots of time in the process. But you could blame us in a way; we should've responded earlier.
- We do have bots, though I fear this kind of job would have to be done by hand. -- Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 08:15, 17 February 2010 (UTC)
- Ouch. Well, at least they're all marked with "inflection" (an easily searchable word), and the templates are currently hidden from display (but near "inflection" making them easy to edit). I suppose this is a job that could be done gradually over time...if everyone pitched in, I mean. It's just...well...I want to get past the issue, very much so. I want to get past potential future forum postings of "what are all these invisible templates and why are they all over the place"? I cringe thinking of that. And I feel like having a wikistress attack when I search "inflection" and see hundreds of results that are all my work. I wish there were an easier way through this. - Gilgamesh 09:21, 17 February 2010 (UTC)
I just removed one search page's worth. About 19 or 20. And then I clicked "500", and it refreshed the first page, and...there are more than 500. How on earth did I embed so many in seemingly such a short time? I've ruined your wiki. :( - Gilgamesh 09:58, 17 February 2010 (UTC)
- It's not mine, so it's okay :). I'll see if I can do some of them. -- Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 10:13, 17 February 2010 (UTC)
- I know you don't own it, but you are a sysadmin. It's practically yours. You have so much work to do here as it is, and I'm certainly no help. I mean, I do...maybe...IPA, categories, userboxes, navboxes... ...oh. Well, I guess I've done something. And then I filled half the wiki with controversial inflections. I have this feeling like I'm a small child who's been caught covering the walls of an entire house with crayon. This all would be hilarious if it weren't all so...inconveniencing to people. XD - Gilgamesh 10:34, 17 February 2010 (UTC)
I've removed some more inflections (a few dozen, maybe), and now there are less than 500 articles with the word "inflection" in them. I've been working from the opposite end of the search results, so that I wouldn't step on your toes in case you were working from the top of the list. - Gilgamesh 21:45, 17 February 2010 (UTC)
- I just want to apologise. I didn't intend for all of these to be removed in their entirety, there was definitely something there worth having, just probably not in its current appearance or scale. Does that make sense? I am sorry, though, you've felt the need to remove the lot.
- If Mithbot had been approved by Hyarion (where is he?!) I would get it to do all this work on (y)our behalf. --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 11:21, 18 February 2010 (UTC)
- It won't be a complete loss. Once all the templates are removed, someone can go back and make a brief note about Quenya nouns' stem forms and Sindarin nouns' special conditions (like whether a noun that begins with b/d/g mutates like b/d/g or like mb/nd/ng), and also notes regarding Sindarin plurals and Quenya irregular plurals (that may have just been fickle because of Tolkien changing his mind at least once). Then, if you believe in regular rules, you can read them and ascertain inflections for yourself.
- Anyway, Mith, I'm also sorry for grating on your nerves before. You can read my final explanation on my chronically abnormal way of communication at the forum post where we did most of our talking. I'm always going to be very strange to talk to, and I don't want you grated or anything (I never did in the first place), but I'm hoping you can at least acclimate to it and see my good faith, even if most times I have no common sense.
- And if you need your bot approved, and Hyarion is not available to provide approval, then does anyone (perhaps Ederchil) have the authority to (at least tentatively) approve it? - Gilgamesh 18:49, 18 February 2010 (UTC)
- Mith, you don't have to have your bot user made into an official bot for it to work; the only thing it will do is hide the bot's edits from the recent changes page - so if the other contributors don't mind it clogging up the recent changes page, I'm sure you could use it. ;) -- 11:34, 19 February 2010 (UTC)
MediaWiki memory limit
I read on various MediaWiki support sites that the reason categories and image pages with very large images (in file size or dimensions) show a blank page is because of a PHP error caused by running out of memory. Since Tolkien Gateway is never going to have a shortage of highly-detailed high-resolution maps, is it possible we could ask Hyarion to increase the wiki's memory limit? Perhaps to 64MB or more? - Gilgamesh 05:18, 24 February 2010 (UTC)
- I don't know yet when I'll mail him, but I'll ask him. You can also mail him yourself, of course :). -- Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 08:46, 24 February 2010 (UTC)
- I didn't know how to contact him. Besides, he and I have never been acquainted in a wiki-working interaction. I'd be a stranger who was feature-begging. - Gilgamesh 20:55, 24 February 2010 (UTC)
Hi, could you make another article the next improvement drive article? I think Barad-dûr has improved quite much and although the "Portrayal in adaptations" section lacks some information about the earlier films I think that we should take the next article on the Main Page. What do you think? A few suggestions: Angband, Battle of Dagorlad, Bywater, Dale, Glaurung, Peter Jackson, Mount Doom, Treebeard, Tuor -- Eldarion Telcontar 23:23, 6 March 2010 (UTC)