User talk:Eldarion Telcontar
Eldarion Telcontar, welcome!
- Internal pages:
- External Wikipedia pages:
I hope you enjoy editing here and we look forward to your future edits. By the way, you can sign your name on Talk and vote pages using three tildes, like this: ~~~. Four tildes (~~~~) produces your name and the current date. If you have any questions, see the help pages, add a question to the Council forums or ask me on my talk page. Keep up the great work! — Hyarion
There are naming rules when it comes to images: the name of the author correctly spelled and capitalized, followed by a space, a hyphen ("-"), another space, and then, again with proper punctuation and spelling, the official title (but Howe's postcards don't have that). So those two images should be aptly named "John Howe - Boromir 03" (as there are already two other pictures of Boromir in Howe's gallery) and "John Howe - Barad-dûr". Also be sure to add them to the categories "Category:Images by John Howe", "Category:Images of Boromir" and "Category:Images of Barad-dûr". Please note that TolkienGateway does not have a policy of favouring "big" artists like Alan Lee or John Howe; much more the opposite: small, independant artists deserve some screen-time too. Enjoy your stay, -- Ederchil 12:30, 8 March 2008 (EST)
- Aditional note: John Howe's Barad-dûr has already been uploaded to the Gateway. ~ Earendilyon 13:48, 8 March 2008 (EST)
- Thank your for your help. I added the picture of Boromir to both categories but wasn't able to change the name. I am afraid this isn't possible. Eldarion Telcontar 13:18, 10 March 2008 (EDT)
Since you are the most avid worker on the Calendar, some tips for April:
- Borondir and Eorl's adventure, with the Battle of the Field of Celebrant on the 15th. Other dates could be done quite like Narfil did for late Juanuary: "The fellowship rests in Lorien", "They travel so and so"; just so we actually have events on these dates. Check The Thain's Book for specific dates.
- The Hobbit starts on the 26th of Third Age 2941, see previous site for details.
I may not have time to play anything but a WikiGnome, so I thought of you... -- Ederchil 17:33, 5 April 2008 (EDT)
- Thank you for these great tips. I was already wondering where I could get information about dates, which are not mentioned in the Appendix of The Lord of the Rings. I think that especially tuckborough.net will help me very much.
- I have just now added the 15th of April with the Battle of the Field of Celebrant. I will also try to fill all empty dates with descriptions of the situation, like Narfil did in January.
- In the next weeks I will work on the events from The Hobbit which last more than a whole year. But I don't know any sources with events that happened on earth. Do you know some (e.g. with Dates from Tolkiens life)?
- Eldarion Telcontar 14:23, 18 April 2008 (EDT)
- Yes, I do... in fact, I finished going through the Letters yesterday, searching for dates. I did it earlier for January through March, but that was limited to "Tolkien writes letter X" - I've got some interesting events out of it, though. I'm thinking of adding them this weekend (get them organized first). -- Ederchil 14:41, 18 April 2008 (EDT)
Isn't it better when the route of the Fellowship is made into a different template? Template:FellowshipRoute or something? -- Ederchil 06:32, 18 June 2008 (EDT)
- You are absolutely right. I accidentally overwrote the old Fellowship-Template containing the members of the Fellowship. But now I have moved the route to "Template:FellowshipRoute" and the members are again in "Template:Fellowship". So all should be correct now.
- But a serious problem is the complexity of the route. Almost all members of the Fellowship have a different route. I think I have to find another structure for the Template... -- Eldarion Telcontar 15:03, 18 June 2008 (EDT)
- Maybe the templates can be split up? "Route of the Fellowship in FotR", "Route of Fellowship in TTT" etc.? With the possibility of a "Route of Túrin Turambar", "Route of Bilbo Baggins", et cetera. -- Ederchil 15:49, 18 June 2008 (EDT)
- I like the idea of separating it and having "Route of Character". But then again I do think a large "Route of the Fellowship" is good to see as well. I also like the idea of including the template(s) in the location articles. Maybe we need a "Follow the character" infobox, it then lists the characters who travelled to this location as well as where they came from and where they were going. --Hyarion 17:09, 18 June 2008 (EDT)
- It's a fantastic idea to create one route for every single character. I also like the idea of an "Follow the character" infobox, although it surely means lots of work and will be difficult for often visited places like Minas Tirith.
- At first I thought "All locations", but maybe it's getting a bit too big for that. -- Ederchil 12:35, 20 June 2008 (EDT)
- Yes, this is the problem. But on the other hand some shorter articles would be improved by the Template, I think. -- Eldarion Telcontar 11:52, 21 June 2008 (EDT)