- Internal pages:
- External Wikipedia pages:
I hope you enjoy editing here and we look forward to your future edits. By the way, you can sign your name on Talk and vote pages using three tildes, like this: ~~~. Four tildes (~~~~) produces your name and the current date. If you have any questions, see the help pages, add a question to the Council forums or ask me on my talk page. Keep up the great work!
Nice to have you on board! Hope you will enjoy editing on Tolkien Gateway! --Morgan 22:53, 7 March 2011 (UTC)
- Seconded! A pleasure to have you around Gamling. I don't suppose you still have any pictures of that scroll? --Hyarion 01:06, 8 March 2011 (UTC)
- Just let us know if you need any help, I'm sure there could be a place for images of the scroll here on TG.--Morgan 17:57, 8 March 2011 (UTC)
- Welcome, hopely you will have a good time here. --Amroth 18:25, 8 March 2011 (UTC)
I've noticed that on a couple of occasions you have amended an article from British usage to American usage; just to let you know that both British English and American English is acceptable on the wiki (I think usage of it is about 50/50 at the moment). The general rule (which, admittedly, is not written down anywhere) is that whoever writes or rewrites an article effectively "claims" it for their language and future editors should respect that; so, for instance, in your excellent Letter 163 no one should come along and change "labor" to "labour".
Look at all those blue links! I just wanted to congratulate you on all your hard work on those letters. The section is an invaluable addition to TG and I'm sure a great many people will appreciate the time you spent on it. --Hyarion 23:48, 11 May 2011 (UTC)
- Thank you for the congratulations Hyarion, but there is still one more, the epistolary Fastitocalon - Letter 131 - which has as its "summary" just the head note and nothing of the body of the text. I have begun working on it but this one is going to take a bit of time. -- Gamling 00:02, 12 May 2011 (UTC)
- I second that Sage 08:02, 12 May 2011 (UTC)
- Great work, Gamling! It'll be interesting to see your next project on TG! --Morgan 10:29, 12 May 2011 (UTC)
- Nice Work! I actually didn't see that you were already this far. Now people who haven't purchased the letters (I for example) can finally find out what Tolkien wrote in these :) I also second Morgan about your next peolple (I like beer, by the way :P ). --Amroth 15:11, 12 May 2011 (UTC)
I have just finished the summary of Letter 131 (9 pages in Word, out of 17 pages in "The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien", out of 41 pages in the original) so now the Letters are "done" (except for edits).
I didn't mean to disappear for a few days but that's what Letter 131 took. Since Morgan asked (seconded by Amroth), here's some of what I plan to do:
- Some of you may have seen me make corrections of grammar and misspelling here and there - that'll continue.
- Add references to various articles. When I updated "Rhimdath" it was because it had no references and I did not know where the information came from. I eventually found a reference but outside of the Tolkien Gateway. By the way, a number of people made tweaks to what I did which I am happy to see.
- I'm thinking about working on some of the Locations articles and I will probably continue to generate articles from the Wanted pages, especially those with lots of income and unfulfilled links.
- Next week I will vanish again (for 4 days) to retrieve my son from college for the summer.
- With my son's help I will embark on a special project. Years ago I produced a 22-page essay on an aspect of Middle-earth. I now want to create a Website for this essay, and add diagrams and other pictorial aids. When it is done I'll let you know since I would appreciate comments. I will also ask if the Tolkien Gateway would want to reference what I will have done. I believe it will count as Tolkienology but that may be up to your judgment (which is why I've been greatly interested in following the Original Research discussion). I will still be active as a contributor to the Tolkien Gateway but some of my time will be on this other project.
-- Gamling 05:35, 15 May 2011 (UTC)
- Sound's Interesting. If you give me the link (once it's done) I'll certainly give comments. Tough, it may cost some time since I've test week over 3 weeks. --Amroth 16:05, 20 May 2011 (UTC)
I would be grateful if you checked War of the Ring. For months it has been tagged as needing improvement. I made some effort to improve and make it a 'complete' article but since nobody contributed to it since then, there was no feedback or corrections to my blunders. Some paragraphs are awfully written and it would really need a second hand. Sage 06:40, 19 May 2011 (UTC)
Comments on Edits
On the Recent Changes page many editors have a short comment that appears after each of their edits, and they appear to have been written by the editor. I don't know how this is done and I'd like to be able to put in "Corrected typo" or "Added ref" when I've made such changes. Could someone please instruct me in how to added comments to appear in Recent Changes? --Gamling 03:42, 23 June 2011 (UTC)