|"Vampire" by Liz Danforth|
|Gallery||Images of Vampires|
Vampires were mysterious bat-like creatures in the service of Morgoth and of Sauron. The only vampire whose name is recorded in the annals of Arda is Sauron's servant Thuringwethil, but Sauron himself took the form of a vampire on at least one occasion, to flee Huan.
A vampire shape with pinions vast
screeching leaped from the ground, and passed,
its dark blood dripping on the trees
 Portrayal in adaptations
- Vampires are described as former Maia patrons of normal bats, but corrupted by Morgoth and transformed into demons appearing as man-sized bats with "the faces of hideous Men or Women", having the ability to change shape. A related creature is also envisioned, the Blood-wight, which is an undead Mannish shapechanger, draining blood from living beings.
- A new creature created for the game, the Merrevail (singular, Morroval) appear to be based on Tolkien's vampires. They are fearsome bat-winged women with sharp talons. The males of the species are the Mervyl (singular, Morvul).
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of Beren and Lúthien"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Lays of Beleriand, "III. The Lay of Leithian: Canto IX (The defeat of Thû)", line 2820, p. 254
- ↑ Ruth Sochard Pitt, Jeff O'Hare, Peter C. Fenlon, Jr. (1994), Creatures of Middle-earth (2nd edition) (#2012), p. 91
- ↑ Jeffery McKeage (1989), Dark Mage of Rhudaur (#8013)