Guided by the light of a Silmaril, Eärendil navigated Vingilótë through the Shadowy Seas to the Blessed Realm of Aman, the first Mortal to do so. He was not allowed, however, to return to Middle-earth, except to join the host of the Valar in the final War of Wrath against Morgoth.
After the War of Wrath, Eärendil, with the Silmaril upon his brow, sailed Vingilótë into the sky where the jewel shines forever as a morning star (the equivalent to Venus).
Also referred to as Vingilot.
- ...he [Eärendil] built a boat [Vingilótë] of timber felled
- in Nimbrethil to journey in
- her sails he wove of silver glass
- of silver were her lanterns made
- her prow was fashioned like a swan
- and light upon her banners laid
- Eärendil, by Bilbo Baggins