"Vinyar Tengwar" is Quenya for News Letters.
Vinyar Tengwar first appeared in 1988, at first edited by Jorge Quinonez and later taken over by Carl F. Hostetter. It appeared in bimonthly intervals at first, but after July, 1994, issues appeared more irregularly, roughly once a year. This coincided with the greater frequency of publication of texts written by Tolkien himself; the journal is now dedicated primarily to such texts. Several of these texts were mentioned in volumes of The History of Middle-earth, edited by Christopher Tolkien, but not published in that series owing to their specialist or recondite nature.
Back issues of the journal are now available from issue 11 onwards, and published in collections of ten issues on a per-order basis; issues 1-10 will eventually be made available in the same format.
Libraries that have received the journal and should have back-issues in stock include:
- The Library of Congress
- Marquette University Archives
- The Wade Center
- The Bodleian Library
- Vinyar Tengwar
- The Vinyar Tengwar Web Shop, which lists the contents of each issue of VT and provides ordering information
- Parma Eldalamberon, a sibling publication of Vinyar Tengwar
- Elvish Linguistic Fellowship, the publishing organization of VT and PE
- Mythopoeic Society, the parent organization of ELF