|Gallery||Images of Will Whitfoot|
Whitfoot was elected Mayor at the Free Fair late in the Third Age. He was renowned as being the fattest hobbit in the Westfarthing, and was affectionately referred to as "Flourdumpling" after he emerged from the collapse of the Town Hole covered in chalk.
He was one of the first victims of the new rule of Lotho Sackville-Baggins and Sharkey. He went to protest Lotho's taking down trees, but was apprehended by Ruffians on his way to Bag End. He was locked up in the Lockholes, and Lotho usurped his title. He was freed after the Battle of Bywater, but was at first unfit for duty as Mayor, so Frodo Baggins served as Deputy Mayor. He was officially restored as Mayor on the next Free Fair, on mid-summer's day of S.R. 1420.
The name "Whitfoot" is derived from "White foot".
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "Strider"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Scouring of the Shire"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Grey Havens"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "Later Events Concerning the Members of the Fellowship of the Ring"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, "Nomenclature of The Lord of the Rings" in Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (eds), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion