|Born||February 1, 1939|
|Died||April 13, 2005|
With his knowledge of J.R.R. Tolkien and his works, he wrote the encyclopaedia Handbuch der Weisen von Mittelerde ("Guide of the wise men of Middle-earth") in 1996 and an elvish dictionary in 2003. Beside his translations of Tolkien's works, he was the translator of books by authors like Anthony Burgess, E. Annie Proulx, Amélie Nothomb, Joseph Conrad, William Goldman and many others.
In 2000 his most discussed translation was published, a new german rendering of The Lord of the Rings, to replace Margaret Carroux' earlier translation. Krege tried to render the original language style into German equivalents. This worked mostly, but a major point of critique on his translation was his use of modern, early Nineties, German, especially the language of the Hobbits.
- 1978: The Silmarillion (as Das Silmarillion)
- 1979: J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography (as J. R. R. Tolkien: Eine Biographie)
- 1991: The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien (as J.R.R. Tolkien: Briefe)
- 1997: The Hobbit (as Der Hobbit)
- 2000: The Lord of the Rings (as Der Herr der Ringe with completed Appendices)
- 2002: J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the Century (as J.R.R.Tolkien: Autor des Jahrhunderts)
- 1996: Handbuch der Weisen von Mittelerde (Middle-earth guide)
- 2003: Elbisches Wörterbuch (Elvish/German dictionary)