? 1956 is a letter from J.R.R. Tolkien to an unknown fan (the aunt of the finder of the letter) in North East England, probably written sometime in 1956.
- Description: Hand-written letter, explaining some of the thinking behind The Lord of the Rings.
- Contents: The letter from the unknown woman was likely written as The Lord of the Rings was published, asking why there could not have been a different ending. Tolkien wrote in reply, talking about the core of his tale, but added: "I could not explain how the story grew in anything less than an autobiography."
- Authenticity: Medium.[note 1]
- Publication: None.
- ↑ The hand writing was recognised by expert Liz Merryis.
- ↑ Vince Gledhill, "Tolkien letter's a treasure" (dated 3 September 2004; The Evening Chronicle) at Chronicle Live (accessed 21 May 2011)