- ? - Being a linguist, Tolkien decides to specialise in signalling, and learns Morse code.
- 2- J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 4.
- 16 - J.R.R. Tolkien receives his degree at the University of Oxford.
- 22 - J.R.R. Tolkien marries Edith Bratt.
- 2 - J.R.R. Tolkien receives orders to report in Folkestone, and prepare for embarking.
- 4 - Tolkien leaves for France.
- 27 - J.R.R. Tolkien leaves Étaples, and goes to the Somme front.
- ? - Tolkien might have written the poem Habbanan beneath the Stars.
- 1 - One of the bloodiest battles in recent history, the Battle of the Somme, starts.
- 1 - Robert Gilson is one of the first of the 360,000 British casualties when he is hit by a shell at La Boiselle.
- 14 - Tolkien's C-company is sent into action at the Somme front.
- 22 - Ralph "the Baby" Payton, one of the T.C.B.S., is killed in action.
- 13-24 - Revises the poem The Mer aid’s Flute and composes Consalatrix, Affictorium, and Stella Verspertina
- 19 - Terence Tiller, writer of the 1955 radio series of The Lord of the Rings, is born.
- 26 - While in reserve, J.R.R. Tolkien's battalion is inspected by Sir Doulgas Haig, the British commander at the Battle of the Somme.
- 27 - Tolkien is struck by "pyrexia of unknown origin": trench fever.
- 8 - Tolkien is repatriated, and is sent to a hospital in Birmingham.
- 22 - J.R.R. Tolkien signs a form for the War Office, confirming his return to England from France due to trench fever.
- 29 - G.B. Smith is hit by shrapnel, and wounded on his right arm and thigh.
- 3 - G.B. Smith dies of gas-gangrene in his wounds. The news doesn't reach Tolkien until the 16th.
- 16-25 - Tolkien recovers, and he and Edith visit Great Haywood.
- 28 - Noel Johnson, who would play Éomer in The Lord of the Rings (1955 radio series), is born.
1913 1914 1915 1916 1917 1918 1919