Events that occurred on 22 September.
 On Earth
- 1937 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to Jane Neave.
- 1954 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 152.
- 1963 - J.R.R. Tolkien starts writing a letter to Eileen Elgar.
- 1976 - Actor and stuntman Sala Baker is born.
- 1978 - Oxonmoot 1978 at Oxford Town Hall.
- 1981 - The Dutch Tolkien Society Unquendor is founded in Leiden, the Netherlands.
- 1989 - Oxonmoot 1989 at Oxford Town Hall.
- 1990 - Oxonmoot 1990 at Oxford Town Hall.
- 1991 - Oxonmoot 1991 at University College.
- 1992 - The Danish Tolkien Society Imladris is founded.
- 1996 - Oxonmoot 1996 at University College.
- 2000 - Oxonmoot 2000 at St Antony's College.
- 2001 - Oxonmoot 2001 at St Antony's College.
- 2003 - The Eleventy-First Birthday Party is held in Frankenmuth, Michigan.
- 2009 - The Frisian translation of The Hobbit, by Anne Tjerk Popkema, is published.
- 2010 - The Lonely Mountain Band release their first album Beyond the Western Seas.
- 2012 - Oxonmoot 2012 at Lady Margaret Hall.
- 2013 – Oxonmoot 2013 at Lady Margaret Hall.
 In Arda
- T.A. 2890:
- Bilbo Baggins is born.
- T.A. 2941:
- T.A. 2968:
- Frodo Baggins is born.
- T.A. 3001:
- T.A. 3018:
- T.A. 3019:
- T.A. 3021:
- Fo.A. 31:
As Frodo and Sam ride through the Shire in 3021, the text tells us that “"the Moon went westward"” above them. According to astronomy, in that date of that year, no moon should have been visible.