|"Amroth" by Olga Kukhtenkova|
|Titles||King of Lórien|
|Language||Sindarin, Silvan Elvish|
|Birth||Before c. S.A. 730 |
|Rule||S.A. 3434 - T.A. 1981|
|Death||T.A. 1981 (aged 4685+)|
Bay of Belfalas
|Gallery||Images of Amroth|
He lead a force of Elves of Lórien to the aid of Elrond during the War of the Elves and Sauron, only to be driven back by the forces of Mordor in S.A. 1697. After his father's death in S.A. 3434 in the Battle of Dagorlad, he became King of Lórien. He lived for a long time in peace in the manner of the Silvan Elves, because of his love for Nimrodel.
Around T.A. 1409, Elves from Lórien passed over the Misty Mountains to join forces with the Elves Rivendell under Elrond against Angmar. Along with assistance from the Elves of Lindon, they were successful in subduing the Witch-king and Angmar for some time.
Nimrodel however regretted the arrival of Elves who came from the West, Sindar and Noldor, who she said brought wars and destroyed the peace. After many debates, Nimrodel said to Amroth that she would marry him if he took her to a land of peace. Such a land no longer existed in Middle-earth, but Amroth spoke about the Havens in the South such as Edhellond, and the way to the Ancient West.
Together, they began a journey to the south. They went to Gondor in the days of Eärnil II in T.A. 1981, but then they were separated. Amroth went to the Havens alone and there he found a few Elves who wanted to sail to the West. But they wouldn't wait for Nimrodel.
Finally, because of the great love that Amroth bore towards her, they waited, living on their ship till the end of the autumn. One night, they faced a great storm that led their ship to unknown seas. The ship finally found its way to Tol Eressëa and was never to be seen in Middle-earth again. But Amroth, in the dawn, when he realized that the ship was far away, leapt into the sea and fought against the waves, and by the Bay of Belfalas, he drowned.
 Other versions of the legendarium
In earlier versions, Amroth was briefly Galadriel and Celeborn's son, brother to Celebrían. In this version of the legendarium, he was born in the realm of Nenuial in the latter 4th century of the Second Age; he lived in Eregion and fled with his mother and sister after the revolt of the Gwaith-i-Mírdain encouraged by Sauron (S.A. 1350-1400). Later, Galadriel left the Lórinand to Amroth when she went to dwell by the sea.
|Amdírd. S.A. 3434|
|AMROTHd. T.A. 1981||Nimrodel|
fl. T.A. 1981
 Portrayal in adaptations
|Amroth in adaptations|
2019: The Lord of the Rings Online:
- Amroth appears during an extended flashback set during the Siege of Barad-dûr in the year S.A. 3440.
- ↑ It seems likely that, like his father Amdír, he was part of the wave of Sindar who spread out eastwards across Middle-earth in the early Second Age, settling among and ruling the Silvan Elves who lived in regions such as Lórinand but this is not known for sure.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "Aldarion and Erendis: The Mariner's Wife", "Notes", note 6
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "The History of Galadriel and Celeborn", "Amroth and Nimrodel"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "The History of Galadriel and Celeborn", "Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "Eriador, Arnor, and the Heirs of Isildur", The North-kingdom and the Dúnedain, entry for king Arveleg
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age", entry for the year 1981 of the Third Age
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "Cirion and Eorl and the Friendship of Gondor and Rohan", "Notes", note 39
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix F, "The Languages and Peoples of the Third Age", "Of the Elves", footnote relating to the first paragraph
|2nd King of Lórien|
S.A. 3434 - T.A. 1981
Celeborn & Galadriel, as Lord and Lady