(Redirected from Ar-)
The word ar or âr can have various meanings:
- "Beside, without" (archaic)
- A shorter form of ara, "high, lofty, noble"
- Âr "king (used of a lord or king of a specified region)"
- Phrase on a draft of Thrór's Map: "Lheben teil brann i annon ar neledh neledhi gar godrebh" ("Five feet high the gate and three by three they go through together" or "Five feet high the door and three may walk abreast")
- The name of the twenty-first Tengwa.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Appendix: Elements in Quenya and Sindarin Names", ar(a)-
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 J.R.R. Tolkien, "Words, Phrases and Passages in Various Tongues in The Lord of the Rings", in Parma Eldalamberon XVII (edited by Christopher Gilson), p. 70
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Appendix: Elements in Quenya and Sindarin Names", ar-
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull, J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist & Illustrator, pp. 92, 150 (note 6)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, "An Unexpected Party" (translation by Gandalf of the Old English runes on the map)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Thrór's map inscription at Jrrvf.com (accessed 27 June 2011)
- Quenya Corpus Wordlist at Ardalambion
- Adûnaic at Ardalambion
- Hiswelókë's Sindarin Dictionary compiled by Didier Willis
- Jim Allan, Report from Marquette