(Redirected from Bindbole wood
Bindbole Wood was a small wood in the southern part of the Northfarthing in the Shire.
The name appears in the map of the Shire, but the letter o in the 1954 edition was not very clear; thus the name has been rendered Bindbale in many later maps (e.g. by Barbara Strachey and Karen Wynn Fonstad), and elsewhere, like in Robert Foster's The Complete Guide to Middle-earth (s.v. Bindbale).
Even Tolkien himself referred to Bindbale in a manuscript note when he was preparing the document later known as Nomenclature.
The name presumably contains bole "trunk of a tree".
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "A Part of the Shire" map
- ↑ Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (eds), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, p. lvii
- ↑ David Salo, "Hobbitish Place-names" dated 23 November 1998, Elfling (accessed 27 February 2015)