Category talk:Characters by date
Just as a point of clarity (and it goes for Category:Cities by date[former link] as well, how are we defining 'by date'? Characters who simply appear in said period, characters who were born in said period or characters who died in said period? Dr Death 09:58, 28 September 2007 (EDT)
- I was intending that if they lived during that period, they would be put into that category. For instance, Fëanor would be put into the Category for Years of the Trees, as he was born then and died at the end of that age. Elrond would be put into the categories for all four ages of Middle-earth. Círdan would be put into the five later ages of Arda. It's just another way to find and reference people. The same goes for cities, and even objects if we want to go that far. If you have different ideas, I'd be ready to hear them. --Narfil Palùrfalas 11:16, 28 September 2007 (EDT)
- I like the idea, I was just thinking "Characters by Age" but on second thought that could mislead people to think how old the characters are, so by date works for me.. --Hyarion 11:21, 28 September 2007 (EDT)
- Yeah, I thought of "by age" too, but it would be misleading. Do you think we should categorize objects in the same manner? We're building up quite a category tree. --Narfil Palùrfalas 11:32, 28 September 2007 (EDT)
- I would hold off on objects for now, since I would imagine the majority of them were not destroyed and would in fact continue to exist through the ages. I also like the idea of listing the timeline in which the character existed, like the timeline image the Encyclopedia of Arda has, or even this wiki. I'll see how we can add it.
- So Isildur would qualify for Category: Characters of the Third Age[former link]? It's a good way to categorise them but the definition of 'by age' does need to be made before we get too carried away :). I think '...by Age' is fine personally- if we were talking about personal age then it wouldnt be capitalised. '...by date' seem's too specific, at the very least it should be '...by period'. Dr Death 13:51, 28 September 2007 (EDT)