Category talk:Tengwar letters
I performed a survey of all Tengwar letters articles and found the following:
- 3 articles, for Vala, Vilya, and Arda, do not mention the associated Tengwar letter.
- 3 articles, for "Malta", "Áre nuquerna", and "Silma nuquerna" do not exist (and are not redirects either).
- 6 articles have no image for the letter while the rest do.
- Most are in two categories: "Quenya Nouns" and "Tengwar Letters". Of the letter articles that exist, 4 are not in the category "Tengwar Letters".
- Almost none of the articles have proper or in-line references.
I am fixing these problems and adding information to all articles. I have not put them into Tolkien Gateway yet because I am trying to do them as a group so that they have a consistent appearance; when ready I will install them all at one time.
There are 2 issues on which I need help:
- In [Category:Images of Tengwar] all of the standard 36 letters are shown. However, Tolkien described another letter called Halla that was used in Quenya writing for breath-h, but our article has no image and none is in the category. Could someone insert an image of this special letter into this category? It was described as "a simple raised stem without [a] bow".
- Of the 36 standard Tengwar letters, 35 of them give two definitions, first the word as a noun or adjective and second as the name of a letter (see Tinco as an example). The exception is Calma. Tolkien Gateway has two articles - Calma for the letter and 'Calma (word)[former link] for the noun "lamp". There are two options here: (1) Split all the other articles in two, or (2) revise the "Calma" article and remove the "Calma (word)" article. I believe the 2nd option is better: (a) Words in dictionaries often have multiple meanings which they list under one word. (b) It is silly to have an article "Calma (word)" because the "Calma" article is also about a word, the name of a letter. It is the only article so designated in [Category:Quenya Nouns]. The two articles could be "Calma (tengwa name)" and "Calma (word for lamp)" but that's very awkward (they're both nouns). (c) It would be easier to reduce "Calma/Calma (word)" to one article rather than to double all of the other Tengwar articles. Please vote for Option 1 (split all articles) or Option 2 (combine the two "Calma" articles). --Gamling 23:25, 19 July 2012 (UTC)
- I vote for option 2.--Morgan 00:29, 20 July 2012 (UTC)