|"Hyarmendacil I of Gondor" by Matěj Čadil|
|Titles||King of Gondor|
|Birth||T.A. 899 |
|Rule||T.A. 1015 - 1149 (134 years)|
|Death||T.A. 1149 (aged 250)|
|House||House of Anárion|
|Gallery||Images of Hyarmendacil I|
Hyarmendacil I, born Ciryaher, was the fifteenth King of Gondor.
The Haven of Umbar, to the far south of Gondor, had been captured by Ciryaher's grandfather Eärnil I, but had since proved difficult to hold. Ciryandil was slain during a siege of the Haven by the Haradrim and Ciryaher ascended the throne. He began his reign by reorganizing Gondor's armies and in T.A. 1050 he openly declared war on and conquered the men of Harad who acknowledged the overlordship of Gondor. After this victory he took the name Hyarmendacil, meaning "South-victor".
Hyarmendacil's reign brought Gondor to its greatest extent and power. For the rest of his one hundred and thirty-four year reign Gondor was at peace; the passes of Mordor were well guarded, and no one dared contest his power.
736 - 936†
820 - 1015†
899 - 1149
977 - 1226
1049 - 1294
1058 - 1304
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "Gondor and the Heirs of Anárion"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "The Realms in Exile", "The Southern Line: Heirs of Anarion"
- ↑ Paul Strack, "Q. Ciryaher m.", Eldamo - An Elvish Lexicon (accessed 28 July 2021)
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "Gondor and the Heirs of Anárion", fifth paragraph
- ↑ Paul Strack, "Q. Hyarmendacil m.", Eldamo - An Elvish Lexicon (accessed 28 July 2021)
House of Anárion
|15th King of Gondor|
T.A. 1015 - 1149
Atanatar II Alcarin